Travertine Pavers on Painted Concrete (Questions)

Carla_IL

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 23, 2010
All,
Yes I have surcommed to the point this painted pool deck is beyond the stripping and scrapping. (Spent all yesterday with little progress.) I have gotten bids to put travertine pavers on the existing concrete, but have gotten different stories. I have went through and power washed and scarped of any loose paint. What is the process that would have to be followed in order to put pavers on concrete. I need to make the decision now before the new coping is put on incase the beam needs to be raised. I have 2" coping and the pavers I am looking at would be 1.25" high. I am thinking of DIY with my main guy who is an indoor tile guy. 1) How much to I expect to raise the beam for 1.25" pavers? 2.) Do I need to remove all the paint? (How to prepare the pool deck?) 3.) How much can I expect on average to ask the guy doing the beam to raise the height? 4.) Anything special for cold weather area?

I think you need to remove the paint and acid wash the concrete. This link goes through the steps...

Get some of the pavers you will be using to determine the height for the coping.

Show us some pics of the deck and coping and bond beam.

@jimmythegreek thoughts?

I would think costs to raise your beam won't be cheap. Repairs to a bond beam up to 6" I was quoted around $40-$45 per linear foot for our area. It may be less expensive though since they wouldn't have to use board forms to build it up only 1.25".

I think it would probably be cheaper to just have the old decking removed, and new pavers put in. You could rent a machine from Home Depot if you want to do a DIY demo.

I don't understand why you'd have to scrape the paint off the deck if the paver is sitting on it? You'd never see it.

Thinset will not adhere to paint. I am not thinking the tiles will just be placed on the concrete loose. And this is an area where snow and ice can be on the tiles and freezing water can get under tiles.

Reactions: Davileet
This depends on the material used. They make renovation pavers that are thin you could mix the field with those then use full height for coping. If you are trying to adhere pavers with thinset it's all gotta come off. May be easier with a scarifier that is a machine that etches and grinds the concrete. If you plan on raising the beam to level to the existing deck be aware its gonna throw the stairs and everything else off. Yiu would need to cap them and have it all flow to keep same rise and runs and then any walkways leading to the pool as well. If it was mine id rip the deck out and do a traditional install from scratch. Theres alot or prep needed to adhere to old concrete and you would need the same prep where the coping sat. When you raise things you throw water level, the skimmers, and everything original off.

Are you set on pavers? I have pavers and wish I would have gone with a textured concrete instead. With the pavers, you have bits of sand and weeds (weeds grow from the top, not under).

Have you explored the possibility of having the concrete reconditioned with a top coat and adding a texture or pattern?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get rid of the sand and use polysand. You wont have weeds or sand anymore. It's all we use. Then seal the deck and it's done for years
We plan to use the poly sand, but are not sure we want to seal. I am not sure we want the upkeep (i.e. having to keep sealing).

Well.. Epic fail on the utility trailer. I have not used it in over a year. All excited I pull up to the equipement rental place go to lower my tilt bed trailer and FALL THROUGH the floor. So I will try again next week after a new floor just got installed today.

• Wow
Reactions: kimkats
Yeah..all good Note to self wood flooring will not last longer than 5 years in the elements.
Way off topic...but do you seal or treat your wood floor on the trailer? You can use something like a deck stain and water seal once the wood dries out. If you don't care about the color, the big box stores usually have an "oops" or "returns" shelf that you may be able to find some on the cheap.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.