Traveling for 6 Weeks - What Options

Aug 30, 2018
Folsom,CA
All,

I have a 16000 gallon pool that I have been treating with Liquid chlorine from day 1 (Pool was built on March 2018). I will be traveling for 6 weeks starting in a couple of weeks. I will likely not have time for automation. My only option is to contract a pool maintenance company during my absence. Couple of questions:

1-What should I ask them to use to be "least" destructive to the pool while minimizing the time they need to be at the house?
2-What do you expect the impact of 6 weeks of non TFP treatment on the pool.

Another option:

My pool has an automated chlorinator...Could that be used instead? I can ask my neighbor to refill it as needed. With regards to Acid, can I reduce the frequency of addition such that it is done only 2-3 times during my absence?

Moussa

Welcome to the forum!
A pool service will add tablets to your chlorinator and maybe clean the pool.
Your neighbor can add tablets to your chlorinator and maybe clean the pool, especially if they are allowed to use the pool when you are gone. You might even be able to teach them how to test FC and even better CYA so that you might stay close to the FC/CYA ratio.

You do need someone to be sure the skimmer is emptied and the pump is not running dry.

Acid will most likely not be needed as the tablets are very acidic. You might even need baking soda added while away if the TA gets too low.

A SWCG would change this dynamic alot. We leave our pool for several weeks at times during the summer and for up to a couple months in the fall or spring. Without issues that are catastrophic.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Welcome to the forum!
A pool service will add tablets to your chlorinator and maybe clean the pool.
Your neighbor can add tablets to your chlorinator and maybe clean the pool, especially if they are allowed to use the pool when you are gone. You might even be able to teach them how to test FC and even better CYA so that you might stay close to the FC/CYA ratio.

You do need someone to be sure the skimmer is emptied and the pump is not running dry.

Acid will most likely not be needed as the tablets are very acidic. You might even need baking soda added while away if the TA gets too low.

A SWCG would change this dynamic alot. We leave our pool for several weeks at times during the summer and for up to a couple months in the fall or spring. Without issues that are catastrophic.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thank you. My neighbor has a pool and already does his own maintenance albeit not using the TFP method. I think I will go the pool service route. Will deal with the consequences upon return.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.