Trappist-1

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
In a press release on February 22, 2017, NASA announced the discovery of the most Earth-sized planets found in the habitable zone of a single star, called TRAPPIST-1
NASA Telescope Reveals Record-Breaking Exoplanet Discovery | NASA
How cool is that?

With the finding of the Higgs and the detection of gravitational waves, it's an exciting time for science.

Now, if anyone has any ideas about dark energy or dark matter, maybe we can get those figured out as well.

I have an idea about dark matter, it involves a very bright flashlight...

I do hope we might be able to get some chemical analysis of their atmospheres soon, and (in a case of much too wishful thinking) collect some radio data for Berkley to analyze. A shame, at 40 light-years even if there were a civilization like ours and we sent a radio signal their way it is unlikely any of us would still be around for a response. I will just have to keep my hopes up for a Europa landing. I have been looking forward to that ever since I read 2010 and 2061.

It is very cool indeed. The advances made in space exploration and new planets has been amazing the last few years.

This is hilarious! What does it do to the swim season??? :-D

All seven planets that surround the ultra cool star — which has only about 8 percent the mass of our own sun — orbit more tightly to their host than any of the planets in our system are to the sun.
"They would fit within the orbit of Mercury with oodles of room to spare," Shostak says. "A year on any of these worlds would be less than three weeks, and in the case of the innermost planet, only 36 hours. You'd have a hard time keeping up with birthdays."

Everybody knows the moon is hollow.
Well, they do now. Thanks, Woody. It was supposed to be a secret.

Don't worry everyone, there's no secret base inside the moon that's being used as a staging area for an imminent invasion. That's silly talk.

Besides, even if it was, how bad would it be to be ruled by benevolent alien overlords?

From what I understand, there will be cookies and Hawaiian punch given out thrice daily (as long as your assigned tasks are completed correctly and in a timely mannor).

Look, everyone knows the moon is made of cheese and Danny has been itchin' to get there so he can make some low-gravity cheesy meatloaf. Unfortunately, without an atmosphere, his Primo smoker is useless...

First things first - I refuse to celebrate any further astronomical achievement until Pluto is restored to planetary status!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geeze Matt, you and my wife need to give it a rest. The deep core plutonium drilling has shrunk it far too much to be considered a planet any more.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the Luna base threat. These beings appear to be somewhat unaware that the sphere of matter they are looking to take possession of is soon to be removed to make way for a hyperspace bypass.

Geeze Matt, you and my wife need to give it a rest. The deep core plutonium drilling has shrunk it far too much to be considered a planet any more.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the Luna base threat. These beings appear to be somewhat unaware that the sphere of matter they are looking to take possession of is soon to be removed to make way for a hyperspace bypass.

They'd better have permits for that and appropriate easements!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kidding aside, I love these kinds of subjects, but Astro and Quantum physics baffle me quicky. Still, it doesn't keep me from learning more, and following folks like Lawrence Krauss and others, but you're right James, there are some huge and amazing things being brought forth right now. Its the Beauty of science, always seeking new truths and facts not matter what it brings forth. Endlessly fascinating stuff all of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Good article that DV.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.