Towel storage ideas for outside

AndyTN

Bronze Supporter
Mar 27, 2019
Memphis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Anyone have any creative ideas for storing your pool towels outside near the pool? I don't have a screened in porch or anything and we have tried one of those plastic storage boxes/benches but ants got into it. We have and use a ton of towels during the week and lugging them up/down stairs all the time is a pain.

Anyone have any creative ideas for storing your pool towels outside near the pool? I don't have a screened in porch or anything and we have tried one of those plastic storage boxes/benches but ants got into it. We have and use a ton of towels during the week and lugging them up/down stairs all the time is a pain.
I saw a really cute idea that used a pallet. They installed hooks on it for towels and noodles can be stored inside. I'll see if I can find a pic.

I think I am going to buy this one from Home Depot. I need a prep area anyway for grilling and it would match the deck boxes we already have. I like the idea of the cooler as this would be a good seal to keep out bugs but the wife would not like the look of it. Thanks for the suggestions.

1591722905151.png

Reactions: Ribbod
I suggest finding a different towel box. I have this bench and the inside is always damp and filled with ants.

we also have 2 of these filled with towels and they are dry as a bone even though the lids are warped 1/2 an inch from the sun and they don’t close 100% tight.

All 3 are only a few feet apart.

Reactions: carnivalday
You could also put some of that ortho home defense stuff sprayed around the base of the box - that should stop ants from getting into it. (Had them getting into an electrical box and it stopped them.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
People are probably sick of seeing this picture. But this shed now stores towels, floats, sunscreen, Kleenex, infrared thermometer, robot, buckets, pillows, knife (for cutting open salt bags, etc.), hairnets, sponge, screwdriver, siphon for emptying basketball hoop, basketball hoop in winter, ceramic tiles on table in winter, winterizing plugs, tool for raising/lowering winter cover anchors, dog poop bags, and probably half a dozen other things I forgot. Next to it is a Lifetime deck box with big noodles, basketballs and tennis balls for the dogs along with various masks, etc. The shed also can dry damp (but not wet) towels that may get re-used by me a second time.

I just added this to my porch this season. I have a dozen towels or so inside mine. It is waterproof, but mine is kept under our covered porch. I also have our sunscreen inside.

I have the exact storage boxes...I think Mr. Dude above posted the same....but mine are in white. I keep my robot in one and my vacuum (which Ive never used) in the other. I think they would work fine for you...you might need to spray the inside, as I get teensy spiders in them.

Reactions: Newdude
I just added this to my porch this season. I have a dozen towels or so inside mine. It is waterproof, but mine is kept under our covered porch. I also have our sunscreen inside.
I keep my MA along with a 5-gal bucket and plastic measuring cups in one like this. :)

People are probably sick of seeing this picture.

Just a few weeks ago, I put that exact model of shed in my back yard to hold all of the floaty/inflatable things. It is large enough that the longest inflatables will fit with a little shoving of the door, and it will hold all of them, so that I don't have to deflate them all every night. In Oklahoma, the wind can change in a second and you can go from still to darn near tornadoes, in a few minutes. So I was not comfortable with just the PVC holder ideas I had seen around here.

Here was our solution for towels, sunscreen, goggles, balls, diving toys, hair nets, and other random pool related items. One of the Suncast 5' tall vertical storage units that you can add the 1x12" shelves to. Has worked great so far!

storage1.JPGStorage2.JPG

--Jeff

we also have 2 of these filled with towels and they are dry as a bone even though the lids are warped 1/2 an inch from the sun and they don’t close 100% tight.

All 3 are only a few feet apart.
We have that same exact storage (not for towels) and it is suprisingly really watertight! I even hose it down with the hose "jet" setting every year and not a drop of water inside.

Last edited:
We have have that same exact storage (not for towels) and it is suprisingly really watertight! I even hose it down with the hose "jet" setting every year and not a drop of water inside.
Many years later mine finally warped and neither edge closes 100% tight. It still doesn’t matter, they are dry as a bone because of the little lip.

Reactions: Gladius Nova
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.