Total Alkalinity test, green to pink or green to red?

summertimesadness

Gold Supporter
Aug 23, 2022
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Just tested my TA and I am either at 50 or 60. It went a pinkish at 50, but one more drop made it red.

The instructions say red, but pink is a lighter shade of it. 50 would be my minimum for TA, so it's either good at 60 or I should be keeping an eye on it if it's 50.

What's the concensus?

As long as the color keeps changing the test is ongoing. Keep adding drops until the color stops changing and then discount the drop(s) at the end that didn't change color. It's about when the color stops changing, not when it starts to change.

In your case your TA is at least 60, but if you added further drops then the color might have gotten even deeper and thus your TA actually higher. But if you'd add that 7th drop and seen no color change then you'd discount that drop and your TA would be 60.

Reactions: summertimesadness
As long as the color keeps changing the test is ongoing. Keep adding drops until the color stops changing and then discount the drop(s) at the end that didn't change color. It's about when the color stops changing, not when it starts to change.

In your case your TA is at least 60, but if you added further drops then the color might have gotten even deeper and thus your TA actually higher. But if you'd add that 7th drop and seen no color change then you'd discount that drop and your TA would be 60.
I'll retest in a few days when I test my FC and see where it's at.

Thanks.

I retested today and it came at 50.

My pool math app says 50 to 90, but it alerts me as 50 is at the bottom end.

Should I add enough baking soda to bring to 60, or just wait till it drops down to 40?

Should I add enough baking soda to bring to 60, or just wait till it drops down to 40?
TA of 50 is perfectly fine. Your pH will probably stabilize in the high 7s. You shouldn't need to add baking soda or MA. Be happy you've reached TA/pH equilibrium.

What's the TA of your fill water?

TA of 50 is perfectly fine. Your pH will probably stabilize in the high 7s. You shouldn't need to add baking soda or MA. Be happy you've reached TA/pH equilibrium.

What's the TA of your fill water?

I'll leave it alone. PH has been 7.8 for awhile.

I'll have to test. It's city water, but I haven't had to add in a very long time because the rain has been saving me $$. Lol

Reactions: pjt
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.