Total Alkalinity ideal range.

Renee1

Jun 6, 2016
Jackson, NJ
I have your Pool Math App that I use every day. I also have the test kit. In the test kit, the card says that ideal TA for chlorine pool is 100-120. But in the app it says ideal is 60-80. Which one is correct?

My TA is 70, my pH is about 7.0.

After I get the answer about ideal TA, do I fix that number first, THEN adjust the pH?

Thanks

Which one is correct?
Actually, both ranges are acceptable, but the Poolmath APP is designed to consider more of your poo characteristics. With many tests we try focus on a specific number or tight range, but not so for the TA. Lots of room. You also have vinyl which gives flexibility. Your pH is what's most important. The TA simply helps to keep it more steady. Your pH is a tad low, so you can aerate the water to increase it. If that doesn't work after a day or two, then you could add a little baking soda which will increase the TA to about 80 or so. That might also help to keep your pH in the mid to upper 7 range. But try the aeration first. A TA of 70 is just fine.

Thank you for the info. How do I "aerate"?

I didn't know that about the tablets, and we usually use just liquid chlorine, but had some tablets to use up and since our CYA was on the low side I felt comfortable doing so. We had switched to just liquid a few years ago, on the advice of this forum, and other than the little bit of extra work involved, and the room it takes up in the garage (haha) we are very happy with the results. It is much more stable that way. We also stopped using the tablets when our CYA was getting too high.

I will finish up the tablets in the tube now, and go back to liquid. In the meantime, is there another way to adjust the pH? I just had to about 12 pounds of baking soda the other day (per the app), and it brought TA up to 70. Should I increase that to 80? And then use the app to adjust the pH to in range per the app's recommendations also?

Thanks

Many options to try and aerate your pool. The goal is just to introduce as many bubbles as possible.
1. If you have kids, hold a cannonball contest or something!
2. If your jets can be adjusted, point them upwards to break the surface of the water.
3. If you have any fountains or other water fixtures, turn them on.
3. If you have an air compressor, you can rig up a blower and drop the hose into the pool tied to some kind of anchor to keep it down.

Since you are going to use up those tabs in the feeder, I would go ahead and add just a little more baking soda to be safe (80). You can aerate by generating bubbles in the water. Fountains, bubblers, a water hose, just about anything that splashes will help.

I found that in my case, everything stabilizes at 110 ppm on alkalinity. No ph or ta shifts. I think it’s about finding that sweet spot for your pool. I’d drive myself nuts trying to raise ta, lower ph, raise ph, lower ta. I can’t get tfp perfect but I’m close enough. My overall value is good. As for a way to aerate I use a submersible pump I bought at Lowe’s for draining water. I sit it on the top step and sorta jerry rig an angle to shoot water clear across my pool, 10 feet in the air. I don’t attach a hose, my pool is big enough to just let the water fly. It makes with work of raising ph.

Attachments

• 3E148EED-A4E0-4A2F-8631-E7B15DC8D15D.jpeg
    3E148EED-A4E0-4A2F-8631-E7B15DC8D15D.jpeg
    814.6 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: silveraxiom
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.