Tork TPE 24VA Valve Actuator - Wiring to home automation system

macdenewf

Oct 27, 2012
Spring, TX
Good Morning. I picked up a Tork pool valve actuator with the intent on trying to integrate it into my home automation system. I wanted to get it all working on a bread board test setup before installing.
This actuator has 3 wires.
White, Back and Red - and is supposed to work off a 24V AC .75a power supply.

My understanding was that if you connected white (common ) to one side of the 24v AC system that:
- when you connect up the red wire - the value would actuate one direction
- when you connect up the black wire - the valve would actuate the other way

when i connect up white and black - the valve actuates from 0 position to 180.
When i connect up the White and red - nothing happens. However if i flip the switch on the valve - it will rotate to the other position.
But i cant get it to open or close by simply removing the black and connecting the red...or vice versa.

I had thought these were pretty straight forward but not seeing it work the way i thought it did.
Appreciate any help.
thanks
Mac

Here's what member @elmoco put together that you can use as a reference.

img_0918-jpg.416732

The white wire is not the "common"..

Jim R.
Thank You.
I have it connected as per your diagram and it is indeed working.
The next step is connecting up a 24v DPDT relay. Found one for less an 15 bucks. It has a NO and a NC contact so when unenergized - routes power to the NC relay ( going to set it up where that is pool flow direction) and when energized - it disconnects power to the NC and closes the NO - so the valve will actuate to Spa Mode direction.

Plan is to then connect up the 24v coil of the relay to my smart home system with a smart relay. By default - valve will be in pool mode..when i energize the relay from my Hubitat relay then it will go to spa mode.

Appreciate your help.
My DPDT relay for the actuator comes today, as does the zen 16 multi relay for controlling it through hubitat.
Will post the results.
Cheers
Mac

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thank You.
I have it connected as per your diagram and it is indeed working.
The next step is connecting up a 24v DPDT relay. Found one for less an 15 bucks. It has a NO and a NC contact so when unenergized - routes power to the NC relay ( going to set it up where that is pool flow direction) and when energized - it disconnects power to the NC and closes the NO - so the valve will actuate to Spa Mode direction.

Plan is to then connect up the 24v coil of the relay to my smart home system with a smart relay. By default - valve will be in pool mode..when i energize the relay from my Hubitat relay then it will go to spa mode.

Appreciate your help.
My DPDT relay for the actuator comes today, as does the zen 16 multi relay for controlling it through hubitat.
Will post the results.
Cheers
Mac
Hey @macdenewf, I'm considering doing exactly the same as you!
I've got a waterfall feature and am about to buy the Tork actuator. I'm also running Hubitat.
I'm pretty clueless when it comes to relays etc though. I have successfully wired my garage door in via a zigbee dry contact relay but that is just for 2 wires... when you close the loop briefly it triggers the garage door and that's it.
This valve actuator seems to require 24V to go to the relays as well (if I'm interpreting the schema above correctly) so not sure what relay you used. Hoping it's zigbee, not wifi, and easily integrated with Hubitat?
I can't solder to save my life, so hoping this is not one of those wifi relays I need to solder on 😄
Would be really appreciative if you could let me know if and how you got this working!!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.