Top Drain - Overflow blocking device

When water is going out your overflow drain where is the water level relative to the skimmer mouth or bottom of the coping?

The overflow drain should have been positioned that water drains when the level gets to the top of the skimmer and before it is getting above the bottom of the coping.

In reading this, I feel like this is kind of a made up problem. If you use a product like that then your pool will still have an overflow drain it will just be an inch or two higher. Once it rains enough the pool level will go up to the top of that drain and you’ll still lose water out the overflow when you get in the pool.

The only time I could see that being useful would be if the pool had an auto top off that was configured to bring the water level up to exactly the same level as the overflow drain. In that case, then the pool would lose water when you went swimming and as soon as you got out the auto top off would replace that water.

However, if your auto top off is configured to bring the water level up to an inch or so below the overflow drain, then there will be an inch or so of play in there. When you get in to swim the water level will rise a little, but not enough to drain water through the overflow. If there has been a lot of rain then the water level might be at the overflow, so water would drain through the overflow when you got in, but when you get out the auto top off won’t kick on because the water level will still be high enough not to trigger it.

This ‘problem’ can be solved by properly configuring your auto top off. And if you don’t have an auto top off, then it’s not a problem at all. When you do manually top off the pool just don’t go all the way up to the overflow drain.

Reactions: MermaidMolotov
The bottom of the overflow drain is just above the water level.

Yes, we have autofill and that is the level the system is set at.

Yes, adding a cover will allow rain/play to keep another 1.5 or 2 inches in the pool and eleminate play waves from sending water out of the pool.

Overflow View.jpg

That overflow drain is not correctly placed. The water should get to at least halfway up the skimmer mouth before any water is drained.

Interesting product. I made my own by taking the cover off and putting a piece of plastic behind the plate. I cut the plastic 3/4 of the way down from the top of the over flow plate, thus raising pool volume. Mine now keeps water about 1/2" above the screws on the plate ( see pic on previous post above ). This has allowed me to save water after a rain! My PB installed a valve to open or close the over flow to the drainage system. I just prefer to leave it open and raise the height of the over flow plate to keep more water in pool. Now if I could just automate the valve to open and close on it's own to maintain a certain pool water height would be cool!:cool:

I wish I knew why builders do this... there's a knockout on the back of the skimmer for an overflow that's 2" above the normal waterline. Even better if an auto filler is used, they too have an overflow port that is almost impossible to clog and placed at the perfect height.

Let me know if anyone finds out. I'll have trouble sleeping until then

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.