Too much water loss? Possible leak?

schuetteknight

Nov 16, 2019
Melbourne, Florida
Hello all, I have a new inground pool. I am having to add water about once a week. At first I thought this was just from slashing and such but now I'm wondering if there is possibly a leak.

Yesterday I attached a scale in my pool and to track the change in water level. It looks like the level dropped about 1/8" in about 12 hours over night. With one one getting in the pool over this time. The surface area is 350sqft so this equates to 27gal over night loss.

Is this normal for evaporation? I am going to continue to monitor over the next few days. (Cold front so no one will be in pool) and see how much it continues to drop.

I assume the water temperature is higher than your overnight air temperature? That enhances evaporation.

If you really want to check for a leak, read Leak Detection - Trouble Free Pool

I suspect you are seeing evaporation. In my desert climate, I can see up to 1" per day of evaporation.

I did a little more research and found some Math guidance from the EPA and AHRAE

Based on the calculated rate for my weather and pool condition. This is spot on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200403-113225.jpg
    Screenshot_20200403-113225.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 8
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.