Too much salt

Jun 8, 2014
Rogers, AR
We had a SWG installed last week. The pool is so salty! omg you can taste it a mile away. Our lips and skin are drying out while we are in the pool. My pool company put in 13 bags of aqua salt. My calculations in pool math came out to 7 3/4 bags needed not 13. I ordered a salt test kit but haven’t gotten it yet. In the meantime am I damaging my equipment? Should I dump water?

Do you know your salt level prior to adding the salt? By my math 13 40lb bags (520 lbs) would raise your salt by 2850 ppm. The target for most SWCGs is mid 3,000's so I would think you are fine. I certainly wouldnt dump any water or worry about equipment damage, unless you already had a really high salt content.

Chrissy,

I show that 13 40 lb bags of salt will increase the salt in a 22K pool by about 2800 ppm... Which is not close to being high..

Something is wrong..

Let's see what the salt test shows..

Jim R.

According to my PoolMath in a 21,800 gallon pool 14 bags of salt (520 lbs) will raise salt by 2,850 ppm.

8 bags of salt would raise it by 1,754 ppm.

Recommended salt level for the IC40 is 3600 ppm and high salt light comes on if over 4,000 ppm.

Do you have the HIGH SALT light?

Your salt level depends what its tarted with but I think you are fine.

I must have messed up in pool math. After five years you would think I would know better. No salt light is green. I used liquid pool shock for five years but have no idea how much salt was in there before.

My sister has a salt pool and we have never tasted it like this. It is actually overpowering if you get it in your mouth. I have an IC 40.

What is your SWG model/make?

I have a JustChlor J100SC from South Africa. It needs at least 6000 ppm to start creating chlorine. Salty! But used to it now.

It is a Pentair IntelliChlor IC40. None of the SWGs sold in the US require that much salt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in a similar situation and I'm wondering if you got your salt level tested yet?
Not yet. I had just gotten my big seasonal order from TF test kits when we decided to add the SWG. Rather than pay for shipping I chose to use Amazon. It took them two weeks to ship, then the package got lost lost. The seller made me mess around waiting a few days before they would ship a new one. I finally got my kit today actually. Lesson learned- stick with TF Test kits. My first and only time I cheated on TF test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.