Too much salt

Aug 29, 2008
Pensacola, Fl
My salt cell died, saying low salt for a couple days, but I didn't figure that out until after adding WAY too much salt. Salt level at 5200. Got a new SWG up and running. Dumped several inches of water, and added fresh water. Salt at 5000. Dumped, and added fresh again. 5000. Dumped and added fresh several times, but salt won't come down below 4700, chlorine level at zero, but pool computer obviously still says high salt, so SWG isn't producing chlorine. Added 6 gallons liquid chlorine, got good level upon testing next day, but computer still says high salt. Today chlorine back to zero. PH levels always good.

Should I dump more than 4-5 inches of water at a time? Is that the actual problem?

Dump more water.

Salt measurement is very imprecise. More like +/- 500 ppm. So it will take big changes in the water for you to see a change in the readings. You need to dump about 1/3 of your water to get from 5000 to 3500 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.