Too much salt would this work?

Jul 21, 2016
New Smyrna fl
Ended up with way to much salt in our pool 5800 according to our automation the store said 6500. If I were to open only the skimmer add a garden water hose in it and super chlorinate would that work to lower the level to produce again? Could this process harm anything? We are in Fl with a high water table and don't want to risk pool floating by draining 40%.

Adding chlorine does *nothing* to lower salt. Manage your FC level properly thru testing. You have your own test kit......right???

You can drain your pool down a bit and then add fresh salt-free water. Just go down no more than a 1/3, repeat as necessary.

I never make changes to my salt level without first independently testing with my own test kit Taylor's K-1766. I don't trust my SWG device to be accurate nor would I necessarily trust a pool store since they're usually wrong about most tests.

Yippee :flower:

Thanks guys for the replies. I was wondering if I diluted the water going into the SWG by placing the hose in the skimmer (which I would close main drain and leave this as only return to the pump). If this flow of partial pool water partial hose water would allow the swg to convert. I was thinking turn filter pump on low speed and water flow with the hose. I meant super chlorinate as in the option the swg has. Its turns it up to 100%

Wanted to update with some success in not having to drain my pool 40% as recommend to balance salt! My salt reading according to our local store was actually 6500! I drained pool 12 inches (18,000 gallon). I put two hoses to begin refilling right in front of my two main drains and secured them in the area with a bag of rocks. I let the hoses run for about two hours hoping the water would create a large area of low salt. Once the water level reached my skimmer I placed a hose in and also began filling. I slightly opened skimmer to keep up with hose filling and turned on salt system at 100%. I have been running about an hour now with salt reading at 4500 and making chlorine! Having said all that avoid this mistake and test regularly to make sure your not dumping salt into an ocean like me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.