Too much salt. How bad is that?

Oct 21, 2009
My salt level is at 5000ppm. Will I damage anything?
Background:
When I opened the pool my Pentair IC60 SWG said 0% on my Intellitouch screen. Not doing any research as to whether that might be a problem, I did the Pool Math and found that I “needed” 600lbs of salt. After adding the salt I realized the sensor is bad. That’s a different problem.
My salt level is presently at 5000ppm. I have been lowering the water level by siphoning with a garden hose every night but that’s taking a long time. I can dump a lot of water by backwashing the DE filter but that leaves a trail of DE in the street that leads right to my house. I usually try to time my backwash with a rainstorm. Im
Going out of town for a week. Can my pool sit at 5000ppm for another week or should I risk the backwash with no rain in the forecast?

The higher salinity is not an issue. The IC will compensate and still create chlorine. The high salt warning is most likely going off.

As rain storms happen keep working the salinity down some.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.