Too much chlorine? 42 drops of reagent into 10 ml sample and its still dark pink.

Yaguci

Jun 1, 2020
Northborough, MA
I'm puzzled as to how i can not get the sample to turn clear, I quit after 42 drops, as I don't want to waste all my reagent. And pink color is not even getting any lighter. 42 drops in 10ml is 21 FC.

I had chlorinating tablet floating in the pool for 3 days and this is what I came back to.

What do you recommend?

Well, if one chlorinating tab raised your FC to 21 ppm in three days, your pool is not big enough to swim in! :)

I would forget WHY your FC is 21 but rather don't add any more and let it drift down on it's own. Depending on your CYA, that may take a few days.

In another thread someone else had a similar situation. It turned out they were using the wrong reagent. What kit/reagents are you using for the FC test?

Reactions: Richard320
What is the CYA? You can make a sample of 2 parts distilled water and 1 part pool water and then test the sample for chlorine and multiply the result by 3 to get an idea of how high the FC actually is. 1 quart of regular hydrogen peroxide will drop the FC by 15 ppm. A single 7 ounce tablet will raise the FC by 48 in 1,000 gallons. So, it’s possible that the FC is that high. Verify that you’re using the correct reagent.

That puck would raise the CYA to about 30 ppm so that buffers the high FC nicely.

I would let the FC drift down to about five ppm and then start chlorinating with a little bleach each day. 7 ounces of 6% bleach will keep it sanitary.

Thanks for your replies.

I have the TAYLOR K-2006 kit. I have been using the same kit since beginning of season. Adding two scoops of DPD powder (r-0870) followed by counting drops of reagent (r-0003). And I have done many successful FC tests so far. So I doubt I'm doing anything wrong with the testing.

Reading your feedback, I'm convinced that I have a crazy high chlorine level that I can't even measure (without wasting my reagent).

My CYA measured a week ago was 30. Sounds like that number may have doubled too.

I switched to a floating dispenser from adding daily bleach doses. And this was the first tablet I ever used. My floaty is a small one for 1inch tablets, but because I couldn't find any 1 inch tablets in stock, I purchased a 3 inch one and broke it into small pieces and put all of the pieces in to the floaty.

I guess my mistake was relying on the smallest setting of the floaty to dispense just enough chlorine to my tiny pool. After 3 days, only about 1/3 of the 3" tablet remains undesolved in the float. I took it out of course now.

James - I will try the distilled water trick to measure exactly what my FC level is and go from there. What sample size should I use of the 2to1 mix, so that each re agent drop counts as 3? 10 ml or 25 ml? (based on Taylor's FAS-DPD method)

Is hydrogen peroxide safe to use in the pool? Should I try that instead of dumping half of my water and refilling?

Thanks!

Use the 10 ml sample size and then the result is 1.5 ppm per drop. Note that the water has to distilled, not tap water.

You can wait for the FC to drop on it's own or pour in a quart of hydrogen peroxide to drop it by 15 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh Crud! To116 you are absolutely right! I was using the wrong reagent. And Dpooltest, exact same reason why I did the mistake. It's 12:30am, I read your posts as I was about to fall asleep. Now I'm heading down to get me a fresh sample. Lol

Brb with the new results!

It may still be high, but hopefully not a crazy high number.

Reactions: mguzzy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.