Too Much Algaecide Harmful?

Welcome to the forum.
As you posted this in the Baquacil forum, can we assume you are using that product?
If so, few of us deal with that. The Baqua forum is primarily for those that wish to get away from that product and follow the TFPC methods.

Hopefully someone may know the answer to your question.

Thanks for your response. We use Baquacil because chlorine’s reaction to skin. I considered UV but it doesn’t stand alone. Baquacil seems to do well but I’m open to anything less expensive. I’m not very pool wise and have relied on the local pool suppliers suggestions. I’m keeping the pool closed until I’m sure it’s safe.

Have you considered a salt pool? My wife suffers from severe allergies and has very sensitive skin. Before we converted to salt she could only stay in the pool very limited time and would have itchiness Plus red blotches. So she could only stay in the pool for 10 or 15 minutes at a time and even then she had the itchiness to deal with afterwards. When we switched to a salt pool these effects disappeared. After she got in the very first time she told me this was wonderful and she never wanted to have a pool that had just chlorine again. To be clear a salt pool does have chlorine. It just seems that something related to the salt content eliminated that harsh chlorine feel and her reaction to the chlorine. Not sure what that chemistry really is but it definitely worked in our case.

It would be kind of tough to try a salt pool and then find it doesn't work for you but it may be worth or maybe you could find a friend that has a salt pool and try it first. Just a thought for you and I hope it is helpful.

Chris

Reactions: anthonypool89
We use Baquacil
Do you use DE or sand filter? Your info doesn't mention other than that you have a vinyl pool. Also, curious as to what sort of test strips you're using to determine algicide level (?) I'm not familiar with any way to test algae. As to being able to swim, I've always been told that you can swim fairly soon after adding algicide. When I was still using chlorine winterizing called for adding a substantial dose of some sort of "winter" algicide and I'd always get a few last swims in before closing. Never noticed any harmful effects.

My wife added algaecide and I did too not knowing she did.
Can you show the label on the bottle?

How much did each person add?

Your pool is only 1,500 gallons?
The test strip is black when blue indicates maintenance required.
Can you show the test strip and the color chart?

What does the water look like and smell like?

What are all of the chemistry readings?

Can you show pictures of the pool and the system?

What filter do you have?

How long have you been on Baquacil?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.