Today’s results - possible algae

ThreeSixT

May 23, 2020
San Diego CA
Have been fighting what I think is the start of another algae bloom after really hot weather this week.

Today’s results:
CH 550
FC 5
CC 0.5
PH 8.0
TA 110
CYA 60

Adding another gallon of Hasa Sani-clor and wondering what else I can do to balance.

What would you like to balance? Those results are fine, as long as that is the low end of your FC for the day.

You could lower pH to 7.6, but nothing is showing as critical.

As I said, the pH could come down.

But neither of those would have any effect on the ability for the water to be algae free. Have you let the FC drop below minimum?

Why do you think you have algae? Are there patches of it, is your pool greenish, is it cloudy?

What you can do is run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Dose your pool as per usual tonight after the sun is off your pool, test to get your FC and CC, then tomorrow morning BEFORE the sun hits your pool test FC and CC again. If you lost more than 1 ppm fc, and have a CC more than 0.5 ppm, you have algae and need to follow the SLAM Process. Use FC/CYA Levels to determine your SLAM level and follow the directions.

Which begs the question, what test kit are you using? You need either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C kit. Links in my signature below.

Also, could you fill out your signature with your pool info so we can better help you? Click on your avatar in the upper right corner, then click on signature. Include the pool size, above ground or in ground, pump, filter, test kit, SWG if any, and any other equipment you use.

We'll get your pool straightened out in no time!

Added 1 gal 12.5% bleach on Saturday to keep FC above minimum.

After 3 straight hot days it started to have a tint of green and I noticed some brownish spots on wall/floor near shallow end. Added another gal of bleach on Tuesday.

Water started looking better with some remaining brown spots on walls. Tested last night (K2006C) with above results.

Based on pool math, added another gal of bleach this morning to bump it to 9 and will test again in a bit.

Will perform overnight chlorine test and SLAM starting tomorrow if needed.

You do realize you should be adding liquid chlorine every day to maintain your FC in the target range, correct? Adding on Saturday, then Tuesday, will lead you to algae, or at a minimum the waste of a lot of chlorine.

You do realize you should be adding liquid chlorine every day to maintain your FC in the target range, correct? Adding on Saturday, then Tuesday, will lead you to algae, or at a minimum the waste of a lot of chlorine.

This cannot be emphasized enough.

I was a newbie last year, and I was "advised" by the company that sold and installed my pool to "just dump in a gallon very 3-4 days, and you're good." I dealt with issues until I closed it last year.

This year, we had to drain completely to deal with a warranty liner issue. So, in the interim, I started researching and found this forum. The knowledge here is amazing.

Yes, it is bit of trouble to add chlorine everyday, but that is what I have done, along with learning how to self-test the water, and my pool has been crystal clear all year. I have a quart mason jar that is my reference, which is exactly 2 ppm for my 16K gallon pool. I added three quarts to the fresh fill, and started adding a quart everyday. I tested every third day or so, and if my FC was below 5, I added enough to get me to 6 and tested again in two days. If it was over 7, I only added about half a jar each day until the next test. (That only happened very early in the year when we first opened)

My pool is full sun exposed, and it has gotten hotter and sunnier, I have started adding 3 ppm everyday (48 oz). That seems to keep the FC between 5.5 and 6, which is where I want to be with my pool.

A gallon of 12.5% bleach will raise 33K gallons just less than 4 ppm of FC. Depending on sun exposure, you are going to lose 2-4 parts per day, especially the first day or two after adding, when the ppm is higher. So, you can see how going 3-4 days without adding bleach might be a problem.

Reactions: ThreeSixT

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: so after going through 4 gallons of bleach last week, I went to the local PS to refill and the rep there asks how I went through it so quickly. I told him I was fighting the tail end of an algae bloom and with the heat and sun was having to add more daily, and that I needed some MA to bring my PH down. He asked what my PH and CYA were, and when I told him PH 8 and CYA 60, he suggested that I add 5 lbs of "conditioner" to bump the CYA to 100 and bring PH down by 0.2 ppm. He said due to heat and sun in our local area I needed to have CYA 100 in the summer to protect the chlorine from burning off so fast. He also suggested that I add some chlorine tabs regularly.

You can imagine my surprise as this is the exact opposite that I was told for a year and a half by my PB about needing to get my CYA down and not use tabs, and also what I've learned here via the Chlorine/CYA Chart

Can anyone make sense of why he would recommend this?

To sell you more stabilizer and pHDown. Also he's talking pure, simple :poop: because he doesn't know any better. If your CYA is around 40 - 50 hours set for hot, sunny weather. You do NOT need a CYA of 100!!! And while you're SLAMming, you don't worry about pH -- it'll come down naturally with the FC when you're done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.