North Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
I recently switched to a SWCG, a Circupool Universal40. I ordered the Taylor K-1766 and promptly started testing. HOWEVER, I failed to properly read the instructions properly. So, as I am going along counting drops. I get to the end and multiply by 100
stephen colbert oops GIF
. And continue adding salt until I get to 3100 ppm. But, my salt cell keeps telling me it's 5000 ppm and I have too much salt (right at the edge of too much. I think to myself, oh well, generic cell, not the greatest of quality, I'll trust my test kit. Then today I'm reading some threads and I see "multiply by 200" . And now I realize, I was reading the test wrong. So for almost a month I have had double the salt I needed.

I make this post for 2 reasons:
1. So others can learn from my mistake
2. What do I do now. Do I leave it as is? or do I commence a fill and dilute campaign to bring my salt levels back in line with the normal range?
Bill Gates Oops GIF by CBS News

OOPSIE!

Drain your pool by about 1/3 to get your salt down around 3500.

In the future use PoolMath Effects of Adding to do a reasonableness test against what you calculate you need.

In the future use PoolMath Effects of Adding to do a reasonableness test against what you calculate you need.
Let's just say, I may have gotten a little ahead of myself in my excitement. Also, there may have been some help involved.
Happy Hour GIF by Socialize

also, I think I'm going to go for "overflow" rather than "drain" I figure it will be easier to inject acid as during the process. Oh well, what's a little more CYA between friends.

also, I think I'm going to go for "overflow" rather than "drain"

I am not sure what "overflow" means.

If you are going to do the No Drain Water Exchange Process you need to determine the proper placement of the clean water versus the effluent. Otherwise you will take a lot more water then necessary. @mknauss can advise.

I have , ahem several, times in the past left my fill water running too long and overflowed my pool (through an overflow grating) out into my yard. I was mostly joking. My real problem is time. I am currently working noon to midnight 12 hours a day with few days off, so have very little time to actually spend working on the pool. I will probably sit down and do some math to determine exactly how much to remove and how long it will take me to refill. My goal is to get down to a more reasonable level, not the ideal. Hopefully we will get some more spring storms that will help.

You cannot run it with the reading above your manufacturer recommandation
I bag of 40 pds give you 400ppm so you will have to drain water and add fresh water you can calculate how many gallons you have to damp

I am not sure what "overflow" means.

If you are going to do the No Drain Water Exchange Process you need to determine the proper placement of the clean water versus the effluent. Otherwise you will take a lot more water then necessary. @mknauss can advise.
You cannot run it with the reading above your manufacturer recommandation
I bag of 40 pds give you 400ppm so you will have to drain water and add fresh water you can calculate how many gallons you have to damp
Forgot to tell you that is for a 12000 gallon pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wound up draining in two stages, not ideal but what I had to do due to time constraints. Currently I have it down to about 3800 ppm salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.