Sgalloway99

Jun 30, 2021
Fort Worth TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Never had a cloudy pool since it was built. We had a about 30 teens in the pool a week ago. I had raised FC some before and added more after. It was slightly cloudy thst night but was back to super clean and clear the next AM. Now I’m getting small fizzy bubbles when the water surface is aerated. Ie. Waterfall or bubblers or even splashing etc. they disappear. I’m assuming it may be oil or soap or some contaminate. Also assuming I should do an OCLT - but w water as clear as ever I wasn’t sure if there was something I was missing. My test results are in my profile

Sunscreen, hair products, detergent from swimclothes, etc.

Maintain the FC levels. It should go away. May have to clean the skimmer area and waterline.

Sunscreen, hair products, detergent from swimclothes, etc.

Maintain the FC levels. It should go away. May have to clean the skimmer area and waterline.
I felt like I was having a hard time getting my FC up so last night I dumped 2 gallons of 12.5% and this AM is was only at 9PPM. Should that be a concern

You added 17 ppm of FC with the 2 gallons.

If you lost 8 ppm FC overnight, that is not good. But you likely did not test after adding the chlorine last night.

Do a proper OCLT tonight.

Reactions: Mdragger88
update

So I did an OCLT. I think I’m good there I lost .5 ppm from 9.5 to 9. After a full day of 105° sunny Texas guys I only lost another 2.5. I’m going to assume that the Hossa chlorine I’m buying must be breaking down due to the heat in my garage. With that being said I still have these fizzy/soapy like bubbles that disappear after a few seconds coming from my waterfall and my bubblers. I also went ahead and cleaned all my cartridges so they are good to go. Any idea how long it may take for this stuff to filter out or should I raise the chlorine level between the high end and slam to try to knock it out?

You added 17 ppm of FC with the 2 gallons.

If you lost 8 ppm FC overnight, that is not good. But you likely did not test after adding the chlorine last night.

Do a proper OCLT tonight.
So I did an OCLT. I think I’m good there I lost .5 ppm from 9.5 to 9. After a full day of 105° sunny Texas guys I only lost another 2.5. I’m going to assume that the Hossa chlorine I’m buying must be breaking down due to the heat in my garage. With that being said I still have these fizzy/soapy like bubbles that disappear after a few seconds coming from my waterfall and my bubblers. I also went ahead and cleaned all my cartridges so they are good to go. Any idea how long it may take for this stuff to filter out or should I raise the chlorine level between the high end and slam to try to knock it out?

I would just maintain your FC at or above target level for your CYA. Whatever the fizzy bubbles are they will break down over time.

I would just maintain your FC at or above target level for your CYA. Whatever the fizzy bubbles are they will break down over time.
OK so I’m in a little bit of a panic. Because I’ve been unable to get the bubbles to go away I did another overnight test for two consecutive nights and noticed I was losing about 3 PPM. So this morning I raised my free chlorine to slam level at about 6:30 AM before the sun is really up. I just came home at 12:00 PM and my free chlorine was already down to 20. I just added more chlorine to try to get back up to slim but I’m just at a complete loss because I have a crystal clear pool other than these stupid bubbles which I’m attaching pictures for.

Attachments

• CBDB8735-D924-4267-89AA-44916C668CC7.jpeg
    CBDB8735-D924-4267-89AA-44916C668CC7.jpeg
    733.1 KB · Views: 19
What products have you added to the water over the last few weeks? Include everything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What products have you added to the water over the last few weeks? Include everything.
Liquid chlorine. And Muriatic acid. Nothing else. I’m now driving back from the pool store where I bought three more cases of 12.5 HASA. The pool definitely gets plenty of use and I’ve probably struggle to maintain my FC considering it’s getting eaten by something and it’s not been below 105° in full sun in about a month. The pool store who are also believe wants to be a purist considering they sell the liquid chlorine gave me a bottle of pool life enzyme but I’m not committed to doing anything with it :)

The bubbles do not foam, so I do not think it is anything to be concerned about.
Algaecides can foam, but you are not adding any you say.

The water looks good. You are having overnight loss?
Yes. That’s why I’m concerned and confused. Unless alll my testing is just flawed but I’ve been testing almost daily for a year and never had an issue. Lost 3ppm for 2 consecutive days so I started SLAM but This AM I lost like 6 or more. Maybe my CYA of 80 is playing tricks on this? Like I said water is crystal clear and I mean Crystal. I cleaned my cartridge filters just a few weeks ago. My FC has not dropped below 20 for the past two days I’ve been trying to keep it up to 31. But I’m definitely using significant amount of chlorine.

Marty seems to be hitting all the key areas of interest. Since this only seemed to start after the large pool party, I can't help but wonder if someone introduced something to the water that continues to linger. There was a time or two that you failed the OCLT, but others that you passed. Your water look immaculate. The only other thing that might just be coincidental is that besides the teen's party, that's also when you started adding the liquid chlorine. It would be difficult to think there is a problem with that source of chlorine though.

Marty seems to be hitting all the key areas of interest. Since this only seemed to start after the large pool party, I can't help but wonder if someone introduced something to the water that continues to linger. There was a time or two that you failed the OCLT, but others that you passed. Your water look immaculate. The only other thing that might just be coincidental is that besides the teen's party, that's also when you started adding the liquid chlorine. It would be difficult to think there is a problem with that source of chlorine though.
I guess what I’m trying to figure out is do I need to keep dumping this chlorine because of the failure of the loss or should I just let it ride back down and keep it above normal

If you are not seeing any dead algae debris, I suggest letting FC return to target level. Monitor daily FC loss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.