To Renovate or Not, That is the Question

MFM

Silver Supporter
May 27, 2017
Gainesville
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
My 20,500 gallon gunite pool was installed in 2003, white plaster, red bullnose coping, basic tile., brushed concrete deck. The pool is in very good condition, some staining on the white plaster by the drains, but otherwise in very good condition. I had a leak in the skimmer repaired last year, so to my knowledge, no leaks. The tiles are secure but showing calcification staining. Coping is also secure, no hollow sounds, two or three crack lines in the grout, but no cracks in the coping. I want to update the look, and replaster with a quartz aggregate finish. I am hesitant to do anything to disrupt the structural integrity of the pool, in other words, why look for trouble when there isn't any?, or, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

I've met with some contractors, none have said I NEED to do anything, so this would be a cosmetic renovation.

Can you just replaster and replace the tile but keep the existing coping, or is it better to replaster, replace tile and replace coping?

My plan for the deck is to enlarge the deck on one side, and then resurface the existing concrete deck since it is in pretty good condition.

Attachments

• 2022 pool.jpg
    2022 pool.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 36
You can just replaster without changing waterline tiles or coping. If you replaster, ensure the contractor chips out ALL OF THE OLD PLASTER. Sometimes they just want to do soft spots, etc. To get the best adhesion for the new plaster, they should apply it to the gunite shell under the existing plaster.

MFM,

I have a pool where I had the tile and plaster replaced and the coping is still the existing coping. No problem doing it that way..

That said, I made the mistake of not having all the old plaster removed and now (about 7 years later) I am paying for it as I have what they call calcium nodules. It is caused when spots in the old plaster fail, and you get little "volcano" looking nodules springing up through the new plaster.

I also went cheap and got plain white plaster which is another thing I will never do again. I have two other pools with pebble finish, and they are almost bullet proof.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You can just replaster without changing waterline tiles or coping. If you replaster, ensure the contractor chips out ALL OF THE OLD PLASTER. Sometimes they just want to do soft spots, etc. To get the best adhesion for the new plaster, they should apply it to the gunite shell under the existing plaster.
Thanks for the reply. I had seen several videos/articles about full chip out of the plaster, but none of the contractors offered it. I asked why, and was told, 'not necessary'. You'd think they would all quote a FULL chip out even if it wasn't needed, but none of them have. I do not know what they are basing that on, other than perhaps the plaster is in good enough condition to not have to be removed? All they quote is chip out around the fixtures, and they also provide a price for if they find other areas that might need it. I guess in my case, they aren't really replastering, but rather adding another layer of plaster to the existing plaster except in certain spots.

MFM,

I have a pool where I had the tile and plaster replaced and the coping is still the existing coping. No problem doing it that way..

That said, I made the mistake of not having all the old plaster removed and now (about 7 years later) I am paying for it as I have what they call calcium nodules. It is caused when spots in the old plaster fail, and you get little "volcano" looking nodules springing up through the new plaster.

I also went cheap and got plain white plaster which is another thing I will never do again. I have two other pools with pebble finish, and they are almost bullet proof.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the reply. I asked one contractor why he wasn't quoting a full chip out of the plaster and he said, 'not necessary'. You'd think they would quote a full chip out, I would guess it's more expensive than a chip out around certain areas (fixtures, etc). They all do quote a per ft price for any areas they might 'find' when they go to replaster. Thanks for mentioning calcium nodules, had never heard of that.

When I had my pool re-plastered this Summer and was getting quotes last year, I couldn't find anyone that would do a full chip out. Only partial. In the end a partial was more than fine since I never had a re-plastering done yet. Next time I do it, 15 years from now or so, I'll likely need a full chip out to remove both layers of plaster (and because I have 37 in-floor heads on my floor) but it wasn't needed this time and all is good. I also did a full re-tile this time too, but not the coping stones at all, I left that, no regrets (and I do have some hollow spots underneath unlike you).

Thanks for the reply. I had seen several videos/articles about full chip out of the plaster, but none of the contractors offered it. I asked why, and was told, 'not necessary'. You'd think they would all quote a FULL chip out even if it wasn't needed, but none of them have. I do not know what they are basing that on, other than perhaps the plaster is in good enough condition to not have to be removed? All they quote is chip out around the fixtures, and they also provide a price for if they find other areas that might need it. I guess in my case, they aren't really replastering, but rather adding another layer of plaster to the existing plaster except in certain spots.
A full chip out is labor intensive. I would suggest you press them for a quote and state that is what you want. The downside is that they may quote it so outrageous high to deter you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.