To fix or not to fix

SuperMiguel

Nov 26, 2017
Florida
Hello everyone!! I have a Dolphin S300i cleaner that i purchased new back in March of 2018, finally the cable broke (blue shell cracked and it is exposing the wires inside) so i think its time to replace the cable, but those suckers are not cheap $200... + i think i need to get a few parts that are due for replacement due to age like wheel rollers, filters, etc But im wondering if it should cut my losses and just get another cleaner. At this point im worried about spending $300-$400 on a 5 year old unit which im not sure how long they normally last, how long do this robots last? I also saw a cordless cleaner at my local pool store and those look awesome, no more cables! no more mess! but again not sure if those are any good.

Thanks!!!

Lot's of threads on robot life and repair. Just scan through the sub forum this post is in.

Lifespan of robots right now appears to be about 3-5 years. So you are on the edge of winning.

Miguel,

I would not spend any real money on the repair of a five year old robot.

I doubt that water getting inside the outer layer of the cable would actually cause any issue.. :scratch:

One note on the cable replacement.. If you do decide to replace the cable, make sure you remove the old one before you buy a new one. One failure mode I have seen is that the connectors on the motor end of the cable get corroded right on to the pins that come out of the motor box. These pins are at the bottom of a small two inch deep hole and are almost impossible to clean.

If you don't use your remote stuff, you can buy the S200 cable. It only has two wires and costs about $150 bucks. Your cable has the third wires for remote operation. The cables are interchangeable as far as just powering the robot.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: mknauss
I doubt that water getting inside the outer layer of the cable would actually cause any issue.. :scratch:
I would think water inside the jacket could leak through the cable end connectors, as each conductor may not be individually sealed at the connector. Not certain though.

--Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.