To CYA and pH or not to CYA and pH upon opening

reba627

Bronze Supporter
Aug 6, 2021
Michigan
Life tip: don't take the winter cover off and be proud of your closing efforts last season and then go out of town for 4 days and your uncle failed his task of letting the water finish filling and hooking the pump and filter up and it was in the high 80's the last 4 days so I came home to a green swamp.

Water is now almost full so I can start running the filter through the BRAND NEW SAND I just put in!

My question is, since it's full on green, will I even get a reading on CYA? And what about pH? Or should I just dump in 4 gallons of bleach and start the SLAM that way until it starts to clear and then test CYA and pH? I dropped the robot vac in this morning but he's lost somewhere in the abyss so I won't see him for a bit.

IMG_4620.jpeg
IMG_4933.jpeg

What was your CYA when you closed? You need to know the CYA level to know the SLAM chlorine level. I would start putting a couple gallons of chlorine in per day though.

What was your CYA when you closed? You need to know the CYA level to know the SLAM chlorine level. I would start putting a couple gallons of chlorine in per day though.
Thank you, after I posted I went and did some further reading on the site here to re-educate myself. Just checked the chlorine, 0 as suspected, and CYA is 20. I don't have any stabilizer here so I will pick some up tomorrow but I added that in to the Pool Math app and it said to add 1 gallon of bleach, so did that and I'll continue to SLAM throughout the weekend and add some stabilizer back in. I've got a 21' round, 53" deep 10,000 gallon pool, vinyl liner. What's a good target CYA? 40? 50?