Titration test for ph?

This morning, I used the acid demand test to get the ph into a more readable region (7.5). My eyes have a tough time between 7.8 and 8.0 in the early morning light. With the acid demand test, to get from where I am to 7.5, took two drops. From the Taylor chart, this would be an addition of 45 oz of my liquid acid. Using The Pool Calculator, I need to start around 7.8 for 45 oz to drop the ph to near 7.5.

I had been dropping my ph to 7.4-7.5, but it seems that some here are suggesting 7.8 for a target. My pool seems stable around 7.8 without additions.

This morning, I used the acid demand test to get the ph into a more readable region (7.5). My eyes have a tough time between 7.8 and 8.0 in the early morning light. With the acid demand test, to get from where I am to 7.5, took two drops. From the Taylor chart, this would be an addition of 45 oz of my liquid acid. Using The Pool Calculator, I need to start around 7.8 for 45 oz to drop the ph to near 7.5.

I had been dropping my ph to 7.4-7.5, but it seems that some here are suggesting 7.8 for a target. My pool seems stable around 7.8 without additions.

What are you trying to accomplish with a specific pH value?

Any pH in the 7s is ok.

Trying to get an accurate reading using the existing equipment. The issue: If I can't tell the difference between 7.8 and higher, how do I know the ph is in range?

You made mention of using the Pool Calculator. Are you using Pool Calculator or PoolMath?
We recommend using PoolMath as that is maintained thru this site. Pool Calculator is not supported by this site and is no longer being actively maintained.

Parts of the "Pool math" application do not appear to work, at least on my phone. To go from a pH of 7.9 to 7.8, on a 24,500 gallon pool, it says to add 4 teaspoons of 31.45% HCL. The FC calculation does appear to be correct.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.