Tired of Manually Adding Liquid Chlorine

JohnnyRBravo

Bronze Supporter
Dec 29, 2018
Niceville, FL
I've had our inground pool for a little over a year. I'm adept at testing and adding chemicals but would prefer not to have to handle liquid chlorine manually each day.

I've read articles on Stenner pumps and understand the general concept. I've also read about chlorine degradation due to exposure to heat and light.

Since I'm in northern Florida, the temperature is consistently high most of the year. In addition, we get a lot of sunlight. An outside tank of liquid chlorine would be subject to both issues. Even if I shield the tank of chlorine from light, the heat will still be present. The house is on a slab, so no basement installation is possible.

Does this rule out the use of a liquid chlorinator?

No, I don't think it rules out a chlorine pump...we know folks in AZ who useI them, and you know how hot it is there.

Have you considered a salt water chlorine generator?? I think more people use them than liquid pumps, but don't ask me for proof on that.

Maddie

Some folks have sunk the chlorine tank in the ground, leaving the top exposed for the pump connection and for adding liquid chlorine to the tank. This works well to keep the UV off of it, and to keep the temp down.

most go SWG so no hauling of anything but the Stenner pumps work great also... You can bury the barrel and you can get 12% down there for cheap and I think you could get a 30 or 40 gallon barrel at a time or maybe even get it delivered, that would be nice.. :)

I used the liquidator in my pool for two years. I got tired of working on it and quit using it this year. It was constantly having issues. It worked great when it worked, but lines would leak, valves would clog or stick, and I still had to add bleach to it. Why not just dump it in the pool? Went manual this year, and I will stick with manual unless I see a better system. Cant recommend the Liquidator.

Reactions: TexasBR
I am in same position. Have looked at many threads on Stenner and other pump options. Currently doing the manual LC dosing and it is not terrible. Definitely would go with a shelter or partial sunk in ground for a 15-30 gal container with pump. However, as some have stated, it is not maintenance free and therefore a SWG could be better choice because you can run it all year as your temperature stays up. May make sense to go from manual addition of LC to SWG process. Let us know what you decide.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Let's face it, its not always cheaper then chlorine over its lifetime unless you get more then the usual 5 or 6 years out of it but I can say hands down (pun intended) for the same money alot less work.

My automation is old and was not designed for a SWG. I ended up just buying a stand-alone Aquarite System. You plumb in the cell and flow switch. Then you wire the power to the same relay as the pump. The rest is getting the salt level correct and then adjusting the time and setting of the SWG.

Reactions: HermanTX
Any impact on your lawns, shrubs, or other plants in contact with your salty water. What is the Ec (electrical conductivity) of a SWG pool water sample? Seems like a lot of bags of salt in a smallish body of water to get to the levels needed for it not to be toxic to sensitive plants. Would your drain you pool water into your yard if the situation arose?

Last edited:
Let's face it, its not always cheaper then chlorine over its lifetime unless you get more then the usual 5 or 6 years out of it but I can say hands down (pun intended) for the same money alot less work.
I’ve had a Hayward AquaRite for years. My first cell lasted over 7.5 years. $500 replacement cost. $500/7.5 years = $66.667 So it cost me less $67 per year to chlorinate a 20,000 gallon pool that is open year round in a very hot desert climate. I bet you can’t do that with other forms of chlorine.

Any impact on your lawns, shrubs, or other plants in contact with your salty water. What is the Ec (electrical conductivity) of a SWG pool water sample? Seems like a lot of bags of salt in a smallish body of water to get to the levels needed for it not to be toxic to sensitive plants. Would your drain your pool water into your yard if the situation arose?
Remember, all pools are salt water. Regular bleach will become salt. My pool was already 1000 ppm, 3.5 months after a drain and refill.

Plants, etc, not effected. Water is still considered fresh water. Ocean water is 10 times salinity.

Reactions: TexasBR
Any impact on your lawns, shrubs, or other plants in contact with your salty water. What is the Ec (electrical conductivity) of a SWG pool water sample? Seems like a lot of bags of salt in a smallish body of water to get to the levels needed for it not to be toxic to sensitive plants. Would your drain you pool water into your yard if the situation arose?

I drain my pool into my yard and the grass loves it, no issues at all.. There may be some plants that are sensitive to salt but I bet it is ocean salt levels that are 34,000 ppm way way over what your pool will be at 3000 ppm...

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.