Tired of a non working Hayward Navigator!

restoman

Dec 24, 2010
Murrieta, CA
My original 16 year old Hayward Navigator keeps getting stuck in corners. Every few months I end up replacing the gear box assembly and that fixes it, but only for a few months (if I'm lucky). The last time I replaced it was just a month ago and it's already getting stuck in corners again! I've tried using the gear box dry and with vasoline but neither seem to help.

Is it time to buy a new vacuum? If so, what are you guys recommending nowadays?

Thanks
Ed

Time to move into the 21st century and buy a robot cleaner.

Call Margaret at Marina Pool, Spa & Patio in Lakewood CO and see what she has in Dolphin robot cleaners.

Thanks Allen. Not sure I want to go that route since it appears it has to be put in the pool when cleaning and removed afterwards every day. The Hayward just stays in the pool 24/7 (except when someone is swimming). I'm also not sure about using a 120V device in water! That doesn't seem to be a match made in heaven. I realize the cleaner isn't 120V, but I read the instruction manual and there are 10 or 11 warnings just on the power supply! I'm looking for something I don't have to mess with. Set it and forget it. Am I living a pipe dream?

Ed

If you are otherwise happy with your Hayward Navigator then get another one that will hopefully go another 16 years....

Yeah, I guess you're right! I never even thought of that. Anyone else make this same type of vacuum (uses pool suction and hoses) that might be even MORE reliable?

Ed

Better than 16 years of reliability? nope.

Ok, so after looking at Hayward's available cleaners, the one I have appears to be discontinued. They have two systems that looks to be almost identical, but different names:

NAVIGATOR V-FLEX

NAVIGATOR PRO

The Navigator Pro (which looks like it took the place of my original Navigator 925C) is almost $100 more than the V-Flex! What makes this one more expensive??

Ed

Dunno. You have to ask a Hayward dealer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, hang on a sec! I found a post on YouTube where the reason the vacuum wasn't turning was because of the (P/N AXV079VP) Turbine Spindle Gears. I think this is my actual problem because every time I try to "spin" the top, it just goes around and around without spinning the gears itself. I don't know if I'm saying this right. In other words, it's like a set of stripped gears. If I push down on the hose connector, the gears will sometimes spin, but if I don't, the top just goes around and no gear spinning noise comes from under that. Get my meaning?

So anyway, I just ordered a new gear kit and hopefully that'll fix my problem. Stay tuned...

Ed

SUCCESS! (Well, at least for now)

I installed the Turbine Spindle Gear kit last night and I just watched the vacuum work its way out of a corner! Something it hasn't done in months. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping I won't have to buy a new vacuum. Especially since I just broke a window mowing the lawn!!! No idea how much THAT'S going to cost.

Ed

Reactions: aztodd
When you eventually do need a new vacuum, definitely check out the PoolCleaner (Poolvergnuegen)

I had a Navigator for years and was constantly clearing clogs, messing with the gearbox or replacing bumpers and flaps. I replaced it with a Poolvergnuegen PoolCleaner 5ish years ago now and have never had a single clog or part to replace. The thing just works. The treads are only now starting to get low enough that I'll probably replace them in the next season or two.

The PoolCleaner™ by Poolvergnuegen | Hayward Residential and Commercial Pool Products

Thanks for the recommendation Todd. From your link it appears you got the 4 wheel version? If so, was it because it's more stable than the 2 wheel?

Ed
I actually got/have the two-wheel version, I think they recommend the 4-wheel if your pool is larger? I can't recall. Two wheel is very stable though, it cleans the pool well and has no problems climbing the walls as well.

Ok, yes, I see that now:

• The PoolCleaner™ 2-Wheel Suction Drive, White or Limited Edition Grey, provided with with approximately 33ft. of hose is ideal for most average sized pools without a deep end.
  • The PoolCleaner™ 4-Wheel Suction Drive, White or Limited Edition Grey, provided with approximately 40 ft. of hose is best suited for larger pools with a deep end; the additional wheels maintain power and balance in pools with deep ends.
I would need the 4 wheel.

Thanks again Todd.

Ed

Reactions: aztodd
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.