Tips on Removing and/or Lubing O-Ring on Hayward Pump Lid

Apr 11, 2017
Columbus, OH
I have found it very tricky to remove the O-Ring on my Hayward Tristar VS pump lid. All I want to do is put some lube on it. Lubing it while the O-Ring is still installed is nearly impossible.

Any tricks/tips?

For reference, I am attaching a picture of the lid.

Thanks in advance.

Hayward-SPX3200DLS-Strainer-Cover-EcoStar-TriStar-Pumps.jpg

This from my scuba divin' days...

Do not use anything metal, or sharp, to pry the o-ring out. You don't want to scratch or score the o-ring in any way. There is probably a specific tool for the job, but a nylon spudger works well and is relatively safe on the o-ring. A whole kit (which is a handy set of tools to have around) is cheap on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F52ZPB...&pd_rd_r=2d293897-b776-11e8-93c3-43ef3083dbae

Sometimes you can pinch them out if you don't want to get the tool (as Jason described). You pinch your fingers along the direction of the ring (not perpendicular to it). Sometimes that'll bring up enough of a loop to then grab it with the other hand.

Once removed, clean the two surfaces it touches thoroughly (one on the lid, the other on the pump). This is usually neglected by most of us, but a good leak prevention tip. It doesn't take much crud to foil an o-ring. I use a lint-free cloth, so that it doesn't leave anything behind.

Then wipe down the o-ring with the same cloth to clean it.

Put some lube on your thumb and rub it across onto your forefinger. Pinch the o-ring between the two and pull it around and around a few times to coat the entire surface with lube. (You washed your hands first, right?) You don't need to slop it on, more won't be better. You're just making the o-ring "wet" with lube. The lube doesn't create the seal, it just allows the ring to seat within the two surfaces without pinching itself out of shape as you tighten the lid.

Reassemble. Test. Done.

Jason, thanks for that extra caution about petroleum-based lube. Which is preferred? Teflon or silicone? Is one better for pools?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have same top on my Hayward VS pump. It is tricky, here’s what I do:

Don’t bother jamming your pinky in there to lube it up. I put a healthy glob of silicone (MagicLube) lube on where the gasket will seat. I place the top back on and ‘spin’ the clear center part (using 2 clear elevated tabs) to distribute the lubricant around the gasket and then tighten. It’s about 3 years old and looks brand baby new. Pays to properly maintain!

I clean out the gunk that sticks to the gasket just using a strong spray of water. Comes to mind-I need to clean my pump basket out!

Reactions: afbatts
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.