Tips on how to position returns

E,

I always try to make the returns force the water to flow around the outer edges of the pool just like what happens when you flush a toilet... :p

The water does not have to move very fast, just have a gentle flow that causes the debris to end up in the skimmer...

The most important part of the skimming process is the Weir door... They are often broken or removed, which cuts the skimming action in at least half..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I would go horizontal and clockwise to start with. Pointing them up-ish will just raise your pH. But, if you find that stuff isn't being skimmed try counterclockwise. Our pool ended up skimming a lot better counterclockwise than clockwise even though clockwise looked to be the best on paper.

Definitely get a weir door. Inyo Pools has tons of them in all sizes. Sometimes you can find info on mfg on the underside of your skimmer lid.

E,

I point mine up, but just enough so that they don't break the surface... I get a slight ripple in the water..

I'm sure it is not technically correct, but Weir doors make it appear to the pool water that the water in the skimmer is lower than the pool surface.. So, water wanting to run down hill will flow into the skimmer faster with an operating Weir door...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.