Tips for working with liquid chlorine?

DGH

Mar 27, 2019
Houston
I maintain our neighborhood pool and have problems with the liquid chlorine crystallizing and plugging the delivery system. This happens at the injector port (even with duckbill removed) and at the end of the fill line, even with a Stenner strainer in place. I had a suggestion to temporally switch the acid line over to clean the port but they are different sizes. It is delivered in bulk from a commercial supplier, is this a reflection of the quality of it or just common? It is a 300 gallon tank, should this be drained and cleaned periodically? Can't really see if there is sediment collecting. TIA

I maintain our neighborhood pool and have problems with the liquid chlorine crystallizing and plugging the delivery system. This happens at the injector port (even with duckbill removed) and at the end of the fill line, even with a Stenner strainer in place. I had a suggestion to temporally switch the acid line over to clean the port but they are different sizes. It is delivered in bulk from a commercial supplier, is this a reflection of the quality of it or just common? It is a 300 gallon tank, should this be drained and cleaned periodically? Can't really see if there is sediment collecting. TIA

Chemical handling 101. Dispensers are not to be interchanged.

Reactions: Leebo
The crust is calcium and salt build up. Calcium scale comes from the locally high pH right near the injection point (pH of bleach is 12.5-13) and salt is notorious for building up in bleach tanks. If the bleach tank is not thoroughly rinsed between fills, you’ll get salt buildup past the solubility limit.

Bleach injectors need maintenance like anything else. Get a couple of spares and just plan to change them out every 6 months...preventative maintenance is your friend....

Going to have to find a happy medium between doing that every 3-4 months and every decade which is what it's probably been. How can I neutralize the remaining cl to dispose of it?

Can you just use it up in the pools?

Peroxide or sodium thiosulfate neutralizes hypochlorite but you’ll be left with a large quantity of very caustic and salty water. It’s not something you can just dump down the storm drain or onto the lawn. It should be considered treated waste and properly disposed of but that will cost money....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.