Tips for a new pool owner?

Looking at the Chlorine-CYA chart should I target a FC of 12 or 16 as I SLAM? I'm not positive since CYA is still on the rise as the stabilizer is disolved.

Use target FC for CYA of 50 as you have added enough CYA to get to 45, we always round up. Target FC of 20 for SLAM. Should be a quick SLAM.

You should do CYA testing in bright sunlight. Read this, print it out. Really helpful:

Awesome. It's making sense. I just added another 1.75gal of bleach.

How quickly do you think this could go? I have to head out of town for a couple days and need to calculate how much wine and beer to buy to get family to stop by frequently and facetime with me so we can get this done. 😆

Reactions: freesouthjersey
You never know. Given that we caught this quickly, probably today or tomorrow you will pass OCLT. Don't hold me to that. My pool sniffed minimums once after my BIG SLAM, cleared it up THAT DAY with slam level FC.

What does your water look like? (hint post a pic) Are you scrubbing?

Last edited:
The water is crystal clear. I did a tiny bit of scrubbing while sucking up some leaves from the bottom before adding the bleach. I can go scrub more in a little bit.

20220804_091105.jpg

Nice pool!

Yeah, I'd be super surprised if you don't pass tonight (again, don't hold me to it.), if you can test and replenish FC every hour or two,

Checking your logs...can you be sure to log all your test results and additions? Looks like you missed last test result before the 1.75 gallon Bleach addition...

Thanks!
I didn't retest between the 140oz and 1.75gal bleach additions. I just did the math based on the testing at 7am, taking into consideration the 140oz that was already added. I can definitely test more often going forward.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks!
I didn't retest between the 140oz and 1.75gal bleach additions. I just did the math based on the testing at 7am, taking into consideration the 140oz that was already added. I can definitely test more often going forward.
Yeah, always test. If you blindly add, you can exceed SLAM FC which can cause damage. FC levels up to and including SLAM level are fine.

If you want, you can use a 5mL sample for FC testing. If you do, then one drop = 1ppm FC. Use this for replenish testing.

Use the 10mL sample for OCLT.

Reactions: negativez0
After almost 2 hours FC remains at 18. CC shows even less pink than before. It's barely detectable.

I can't test CYA. I ran out of the test materials. I ordered more the other day but they don't arrive until tomorrow or Saturday.

Screenshot_20220804-134309.jpg

With a CYA of 20 == do not go to that FC level, it can damage the liner.

Add 10 ppm of CYA using sock method and use FC 12 ppm for SLAM.
He already added enough CYA to add 45ppm. 1/2 was 2 days ago, other half a day ago. He is out of reagent to test.

Last edited:
Reactions: mknauss
Been having a little difficulty staying on top of the levels since I'm out of town for a bit.

I did a overnight loss test. FC dropped from 19.5 to 16ppm. Does rain impact the FC calculation? We had somewhere around .25 to .5 of an inch of rain.

Been having a little difficulty staying on top of the levels since I'm out of town for a bit.

I did a overnight loss test. FC dropped from 19.5 to 16ppm. Does rain impact the FC calculation? We had somewhere around .25 to .5 of an inch of rain.
Not enough to matter. Slam on !

If you have any CYA slowly dissolving in a sock placed in your skimmer, it should be soft enough by now to just take it out of the skimmer and squeeze the heck out of the sock(s) in front of your return (I aim my return away from the skimmer and slightly downward for max circulation) until it exudes clouds of white into your water. With the possibility of algae, I would make sure all the CYA addition is present and accounted for, if for no other reason than having one less thing to worry about.

Any time I add CYA, I suspend the sock on a pole in front of a return, wait about an hour (dinner, cold beverage or two, three, etc. LOL) then begin to squeeze to make the "Big Cloud" until the sock is empty. I have a tendency to be impatient. 🤫 I usually wait a day or two to test for CYA, but if I know I personally put it in there, it's in there! I can then proceed with whatever else needs adjusting.

Great job so far, by the way. And WELCOME to TFP. You will never regret (edit) doing this!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.