Tiny white specks on pool surface-can’t scrub off

Nolapools

Apr 6, 2020
New Orleans
So my pool (plaster) is a little over a month old and they added the salt about 2 weeks ago. I am in New Orleans and originally had the SWG running at about 75% but after I increased back to 40% and FC seemed to be around 5. I am running my pump 10 hrs a day. During the 2 or so weeks I have been having to put in muriatic acid every day as pH has would creep up to 8.4 or higher. After the first 3-4 days I have been managing pH fine by adding 2-3 cups of acid throughout the day and has stayed between 7.2-7.8 with Alkalinity in the 70-90 range. I added about 3lbs baking soda once when alkalinity got around 40. My calcium level looked like it was around 600-700 using strips and FC between 3-5. I have been seeing more and more tiny white specs showing up on plaster and unable to remove with normal brush. Well I got the test kit and now the following results.

calcium at 850
FC at 9
PH 7.4
Total Chlorine 5&10
TA 80
CYA 25

So I trimmed my SWG to 10% to see what happens but when I talked to my pool builder about calcium hardiness right after salt he says New Orleans has higher calcium and to just make sure your PH stays good. Is the higher chlorine contributing to the tiny white specks and lowering that to recommended range help or do I somehow need to get calcium down? Not sure how I would get calcium down since water is high in calcium so replacing is worthless. Need help. I am going to add CYA but wanted to get FC down first.

Welcome to TFP!

Your chlorine isn’t causing the white spots.
Can you get a picture of the spots?

What do you mean by a “normal brush”? Stainless or plastic? What instructions for brushing did the builder give you?

Builder told me brush every day or every other day (they brushed everyday for first 2 weeks before adding) and I have been brushing everyday with maybe 1 day missed. Plastic brush.

Attachments

• C768F77B-6340-4493-9BA0-6F56F9C03A32.jpeg
    C768F77B-6340-4493-9BA0-6F56F9C03A32.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 6B4F4A3B-A669-4965-9F90-44AC44E36734.jpeg
    6B4F4A3B-A669-4965-9F90-44AC44E36734.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 24
Did your builder specify the plastic brush?

From the picture, the white looks like part of the plaster. Do you know the specific brand and color of plaste?

Did your builder specify the plastic brush?

From the picture, the white looks like part of the plaster. Do you know the specific brand and color of plaste?

Builder gave me the brush and it was same one he was using. Plaster is a medium gray (maybe French Grey) and not part of the plaster as started popping up more and more over the last couple weeks. Talked to my brother who has a similar issue and he said you can scrub with a pumice stone and they will dissolve or get some red liquid from pool store (has to send me name) and that will also work. Didn’t realize he knew about it so will update once it hopefully works. I am sure I will be back and thanks for all the great advice on this website.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.