Timer trips breaker....but works when turned on manually...why?

crocop

May 5, 2016
Toronto
Any ideas to get me started diagnosing are welcome. Every time my intermatic timer reaches the "on" tripper, the pump circuit breaker trips. However, if I manually switch the pump to on, it runs fine with no circuit breaker issues. What the heck could be causing that?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

The only way I can think of would be that the timer motor is drawing too much current. Seems pretty bizarre. Have you inspected the tripper to see if it is bent? Does the breaker still trip if the pump is already running when the timer gets to the on time?

The only way I can think of would be that the timer motor is drawing too much current. Seems pretty bizarre. Have you inspected the tripper to see if it is bent? Does the breaker still trip if the pump is already running when the timer gets to the on time?

did not try that, will try that now.

So if the timer motor is drawing too much current, would a new timer be a solution? What about a new breaker?

It does sound like the motor is drawing too much when it encounters resistance to move.

I'd try a new timer...you can always return it if it ends up being the breaker, but
I doubt it is that.

But how would that explain working when I turn it on manually! Would the motor not draw the same amount of power and then still trip the breaker?

But how would that explain working when I turn it on manually! Would the motor not draw the same amount of power and then still trip the breaker?

I think both of us are referring to the timer motor rather than the pump motor.

The timer motor can be replaced if it is the issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.