Timer to control bypass valve

Apr 11, 2016
Orlando
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi there, I'm planning on installing a heat pump. The model that I'm looking at automatically turns on when it detects water flowing through it. I would like to implement a bypass valve that prevents water from going to the heat pump from monday through thursday.

I basically want to heat pump to only turn on over the weekends.

My current thought is that a bypass valve actuator would simply allow me to prevent water from flowing through the heat pump during the week. I'm just looking for something to control this actuator with the ability to open and close based on the day of the week.

Unless you already have automation, I think a controller with ability to power the actuator on a time schedule may be over kill for such an operation. Especially since heat pumps don’t necessarily need to be bypassed. A digital timer with days of the week may suit you better.

Reactions: jonostang
You could install a pool automation system, but it would be relatively costly. There are really no simple solutions that I'm aware of to control a single valve.

If all you want to control is one valve, the simplest solution is a irrigation controller, which shares the same 24 VAC voltage as diverter valve actuators. I experimented with a couple before I decided to use simple relays to control my pump and actuators (see link in my sig).

You can find non-wifi options pretty cheap ($40+). Wifi options are a bit more ($65+); depends on your needs. You would need a 120 volt power supply to plug in the controller. Using a wifi controller would provide app control via a smart device.

Reactions: jonostang
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.