Timer for solar?

Pbatton

Gold Supporter
May 14, 2022
Winter Haven, FL
My pool is not automated, until now have not found it necessary. We put in solar last year and it worked well as we had an old single speed pump and we only ran it for 8 hours during the day. We just had our pool totally remodeled and added a new Intelliflo VSP. It is setup to run on a high speed each morning for 2 hours, then a medium speed until 10PM and a very low speed until morning as advised by our contractor. It runs 24/7. This has created a problem with our solar, since our solar runs when our pump runs. It will heat the pool to a set temperature during the day but then by running at night it actually cools the pool. It is not a huge problem now as weather in Florida is quite warm already but we bought the solar to extend the swim season and come fall it will cool it off to much if the solar runs at night. We can of course manually turn it on and off but it’s easy to forget to do this. Is there a recommended way to deal with this? What have others done? We have a separate timer for our SWG but not for our solar, would one even work for solar? We are new to solar.

My pool is not automated, until now have not found it necessary. We put in solar last year and it worked well as we had an old single speed pump and we only ran it for 8 hours during the day. We just had our pool totally remodeled and added a new Intelliflo VSP. It is setup to run on a high speed each morning for 2 hours, then a medium speed until 10PM and a very low speed until morning as advised by our contractor. It runs 24/7. This has created a problem with our solar, since our solar runs when our pump runs. It will heat the pool to a set temperature during the day but then by running at night it actually cools the pool. It is not a huge problem now as weather in Florida is quite warm already but we bought the solar to extend the swim season and come fall it will cool it off to much if the solar runs at night. We can of course manually turn it on and off but it’s easy to forget to do this. Is there a recommended way to deal with this? What have others done? We have a separate timer for our SWG but not for our solar, would one even work for solar? We are new to solar.
You can reset the run times for it to be running at a higher speed during the time solar heat is available. The solar touch should be able to do that for you. It just needs to be programmed.

Okay I think we have this somewhat figured out now. Our PB had not connected our Pentair Intelliflo pump and our Pentair Solartouch together with a communication cable. He came back out and did that and although I still don’t understand it well it does seem to be working better. I still wish there was a way to tell the solar to go off at night as that would be an easier way for me to understand it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.