Time to use two pumps and filters?

KMpics

Apr 9, 2022
Northeast Georgia
Backstory this is our 40+ year old pool that was resurfaced with pebble, new tile and form pored coping last year. 20x40 with the water feature hooked up to the same pump and filter as the pool.

I’m about to open it up (had to drain it for a pebble/rust repair) but know that if I am about to make my move I need to keep the water where it is at because the pump and plumbing are about 2 feet below the water line at full pool.

So moving to the pad I have 2 inch pipes, 2.5hp single speed pump in good shape, an ancient sand filter (that I feel works very well still) and a new heater with only 120v out to the pad.

My thought this year was to replace the single speed pump with a 3hp variable speed pump and add an aux cartridge filter (both I bought over the winter and yup I’ll have to run 240v out to the pad).

I have been toying with some thoughts of automation but kind of want to keep it simple so here is why I think adding a second pump and filter for the pool might be the way to go? I can put a simple Alexa power switch to the pump and heater and it will fire up the spa without having to close off 3valves to put the whole system to just the water feature. Of course the new pump is programmable so that would constantly circulate the pool. Am I going down the wrong thought path?

E8C240BF-E5F9-43AB-AAA4-14C9C5371E40.jpegE44D32C3-DB07-475C-8847-46FC31CD7049.jpeg70F1B2AB-EAA1-46B9-A892-F016819D63AA.jpeg

At the least, you would need to isolate the spa returns to the 'secondary' p;ump before using the spa. You can isolate the spa suction to the 'secondary' pump.

Not sure what you are gaining.

Reactions: KMpics
At the least, you would need to isolate the spa returns to the 'secondary' p;ump before using the spa. You can isolate the spa suction to the 'secondary' pump.

Not sure what you are gaining.

I am trying to gain the ability to startup the spa and heater while not being present at the pump or house. Then the rest of the system will be running on a more efficient 3HP VS pump. I think I have a decision but I'm operating on zero experience in building a system. I would like to keep all of the jets available for the 3 HP VS pump but without an automated 3way valve I think this is out of the question?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.