Time to replace salt cells?

Jun 25, 2013
I'd love some input on troubleshooting FC levels that just won't hold. We have a Breeze 540 that was installed spring of 2016.

At the beginning of May I had a slight algae problem, then had a successful SLAM in the middle of the month, let the FC float down to around 5 ppm on 5/17 hoping to then maintain there. We increased the pump run time to 10 hours thinking we were smooth sailing now with some increased output, but since then I've tested every 4ish days and we went from...

5/17 - 5
5/21 - 2
5/25 - 1 (waited too long between these tests...babies consuming daily life and totally in denial about this problem)
5/31 - Basically nothing

Of course there's a major bleach shortage so my attempts to keep it stable (while dealing with said denial) using liquid chlorine have been mostly pointless. My pH tends to rise over the course of the week so we keep acid on hand to keep it down around 7.5. CYA is 70. Salt is 5400.

Are my cells bad? We probably have not properly cared for them. I can't figure out what else would make maintaining FC such a huge headache!

Is there a way to see the volts, amps and instant salt reading from the cell? Those will give us some information on the functioning of the cell.

Have you tried farm supply stores and all big box types for liquid chlorine and/or bleach?

What is you CH level? You may be able to use calcium hypochlorite tabs if you have “room” for your CH to go up.

Get back up to SLAM level, and let it drift down, but not to 5. I've been holding at 8.5 to 9.5, which gives me a cushion in case of something happening that eats chlorine (super sunny days, lots of rain, lots of use, etc.). If it stops holding, I add some chlorine to bring it up quite a bit, but not actual SLAM levels, and bam! SWCG keeps up again.
Also, if calcium levels aren't a problem for you, order some Cal-Hypo online. With babies to deal with, driving around searching for chlorine probably high on your list. I've used that successfully this summer when I needed a chlorine boost. My calcium levels started pretty low anyway.

Edit - since you've gone to 0, something's going on. You should probably SLAM. SWCG will NOT keep up if something is eating your chlorine.

Last edited:

You should add some liquid chlorine to get up to recommended levels. Can you please post a recent set of test results? As bmoreswim suggested please post your reading for voltage and amps if they are displayed. How old is your unit? I would turn it off tonight and run an OCLT test before you fork out the big $ for a new cell. Could very well be there is some algae growth that is chewing up your FC. OCLT will eliminate this cause. If OCLT test is negative then you can try cleaning the cell.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.