Time needed to see change in Chlorine results

Vs6817

Apr 26, 2020
Tracy, CA
Hi all!

I’m still very new to this whole managing and maintaining my own pool water chemistry and for the time being I am using Chlorine tablets because the previous owners of the home left them. I plan on trying out liquid chlorine after I run out of these tablets and then determine at that time which method is best for me and my pool. But for the time being I am using the tablets. But my question is how long does it typically take to see an increase in the chlorine levels when I add tablets? I am using 1” tablets and I haven’t really seen much of an increase in my chlorine levels. I’m also new to performing the actual test so I could be doing something wrong on the testing side as well but I believe I’m following those steps correctly.

Tablets suck at raising chlorine levels, they are designed to slowly release chlorine to maintain a level. If you need to quickly raise your FC then dosing liquid chlorine is the best option.

What he said^^^

And if the pool is green or even cloudy or murky, you may never see an increase, because the algae uses it up as fast as it dissolves.

Be aware that those 1" tablets are almost certainly trichlor, which adds a whole lot of CYA to the water, literally 6 ppm CYA for every 10 FC. Raising the CYA means you need to raise the FC level, so you'd have to add more tablets, which adds a whole lot of CYA to the water, which means you need to raise the FC level, so you'd have to add more tablets.... and you see where this is going. It ends with a recommendation to empty the pool and start over. So be aware. And maybe you'll want to switch to bleach sooner rather than later and save the tablets for vacations. Keep the bucket closed tight and they'll last for years,

Reactions: Vs6817
Tablets suck at raising chlorine levels, they are designed to slowly release chlorine to maintain a level. If you need to quickly raise your FC then dosing liquid chlorine is the best option.
What he said^^^

And if the pool is green or even cloudy or murky, you may never see an increase, because the algae uses it up as fast as it dissolves.

Be aware that those 1" tablets are almost certainly trichlor, which adds a whole lot of CYA to the water, literally 6 ppm CYA for every 10 FC. Raising the CYA means you need to raise the FC level, so you'd have to add more tablets, which adds a whole lot of CYA to the water, which means you need to raise the FC level, so you'd have to add more tablets.... and you see where this is going. It ends with a recommendation to empty the pool and start over. So be aware. And maybe you'll want to switch to bleach sooner rather than later and save the tablets for vacations. Keep the bucket closed tight and they'll last for years,

Thanks to both of you for the information. I’ll grab some liquid chlorine and use that to raise my chlorine level. Do you guys have any recommendations for online resources to purchase some?

Nearly all household bleach has additives. You are much better off getting liquid chlorine.

I think Walmart has what they call a 'cleaning' bleach with no additives. But be ware.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In the app it is bleach. 10%. But if it is old, may be half that strength or so.

Thanks for all the help yesterday. I went ahead and tested my water again today and I’m still getting crazy low FC reading, .05 to be exact. I know you mentioned my Liquid Chlorine could be half strength due to its age but I figured I’d see some movement. I added 32 oz based off the app recommendation to get it up to 3.0FC but even if they Chlorine is old I figured I’d see it climb to at least 1.0. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks to both of you for the information. I’ll grab some liquid chlorine and use that to raise my chlorine level. Do you guys have any recommendations for online resources to purchase some?
Noticed you are in Tracy CA. I am close by. Try HASA liquid chlorine. It is 12.5 concentrate and usually fresh and so you can rely on it. In Pleasanton, it is available in L@@@@ store. It is available in another store in Hayward (I can give you the name if you are interested). It comes in reusable containers for which you must put a small deposit. Hope this helps.

Noticed you are in Tracy CA. I am close by. Try HASA liquid chlorine. It is 12.5 concentrate and usually fresh and so you can rely on it. In Pleasanton, it is available in L@@@@ store. It is available in another store in Hayward (I can give you the name if you are interested). It comes in reusable containers for which you must put a small deposit. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information! I actually ended up buying some at my local Home Depot. It’s 10% instead of 12.5 but its been working great so far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.