Time for new pump for above ground

So $70 in electricity to be saved over the life of the pump. Very likely. I suspect the lower rpm you can run on the 3 hp will be 100 watts per hour or so less than the 1.5 hp.

Up to you. Get the 1.5 hp. Sounds like that seems right to you.

@Stephen882 - I just upgraded to the 3 hp Calimar based on @mknauss's recommendation in another thread. Super happy with it so far. Extremely quiet- I have it running at 1500 rpm 24/7 and you can barely hear it

Highly recommend getting a set of unions too as they don't come with the pump. I purchased these and made install a breeze

I tried when I posted the question. Said images was to big. I went ahead and sanded the rust off. Sprayed it with zinsser 1-2-3 and then rustoleum oil based paint.
If they’re “Live Photos” it will say that so that must be turned off.
You can also change their size. There’s some solutions in this thread

Rust reformer is something that is also recommended.
If it was anything more than surface rust it needs to be patched or replaced.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A lot of us run 24/7 at a low rpm. If you go this route, then do some experimenting and find the rpm that efficiently skims your pool

Reactions: Mdragger88
Is there any formula or chart to determine my gph. I have 1-1/2 pipe if that means anything. Doesn’t the pool need to turn over the water at least once a day.
Turnover is not a meaningful parameter. You run the pump for a reason. First to generate or distribute chlorine, next to skim the pool surface.

Is there any formula or chart to determine my gph. I have 1-1/2 pipe if that means anything. Doesn’t the pool need to turn over the water at least once a day.
Like @mknauss said, since you're using liquid chlorine as long as your pump is running then your chlorine is being distributed. You just need to get the skimmer working at the lowest rpm to save as much on your electric bill possible. Start at 1000 rpm. If your pool already has some debris floating, then give it some time and check your skimmer. If you see that your skimmer collected said debris, then you're good. If not, bump up to 1200 rpms. Rinse and repeat.

I usually have a stenner pump pumping chlorine in the pool at night. I haven’t hooked it up yet since replacing the pump house. Started with new water. (0 chlorine). Last night pool math told me to add 99oz to bring fc level to 3. I added 256oz. Tested it tonight and still 0 chlorine. Read somewhere that anything over 3ppm will bleach out your liner. Going to get the stenner pump back going this weekend. How do y’all add your bleach to the pool. I want to say my pump is a 17 gpd if that helps. Why would new water be eating up chlorine like that. It should have went to over 6ppm last night

Perhaps your bleach has degraded..
Check the date codes.
Fresh fill has no cya so it’s likely the fc was all lost to the sun today as well. Fc above 5ppm with no cya is harsh on surfaces, people and equipment.
Get 30ppm cya in a sock 🧦 & hang it in front of a return not touching the pool wall. Squeeze the sock occasionally. If you haven’t already done so.
Dose fc to 5ppm again & retest in 15-30 minutes to see if you reached your target. Don’t wait until tomorrow.
This will let you know if your bleach is the strength you think it is.
Pour it in slowly infront of a running return - brush the area so it doesn’t pool on the liner as it’s heavier than water.

Reactions: jamesey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.