Time for my first SLAM? Now with Pictures!

TheDeuce

Gold Supporter
Jul 9, 2019
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi guys,

Here's the issue. My water clarity has been declining. General cloudiness and, where I could once clearly see from the steps all away across to the light under the diving board, I can now barely make out said light. At night, with the light on, it's like there's a lot of dander floating in the water. Moreover, here are my recent numbers:

11-Jun​
11-Jun​
10-Jun​
9-Jun​
7-Jun​
4-Jun​
8:00 AM​
12:08 AM​
5:23 PM​
10:31 AM​
3:53 PM​
6:25 PM​
FC
4.5​
8​
0.5​
6​
3.5​
3​
CC
0.5​
0.5​
0​
0.5​
0.5​
0.5​
pH
7.6​
7.6​
7.5​
7.6​
7.6​
7.8​
TA
160​
180​
180​
160​
CH
325​
350​
300​
300​
CYA
70​
70​
70​

Complicating matters is our pool location. We're in an area known as "Breezy Bend" which must have been a mistranslation of the Cree word for "Prairie Hurricane Alley and Dandelion Fields". The dandelion dander we get is unbelievable.

When I had this problem last year (early on, before I discovered TFP) the pool store said I had chlorine demand and sold me a bucket of Burnout 3 (Bioguard iirc). Plus they got me to clean my cartridge filters even though they had only been running for a few weeks. Well the cartridges looked like rotting corpses from the Black Lagoon. After cleaning them and using the Burnout 3 I eventually got cleared up. Spent the summer using Silksticks and SmartShock. Overall not a bad summer - my CYA hovered around 70-80.

This year I started off with CalHypo to protect my CYA level and then learned here on TFP about how it would increase my calcium level. So I hit the local Canadian Tire and stocked up on 10.8% liquid chlorine. Which brings us to today. Cloudy (but still swimable) water and a drop in my FC from 8.0 last night to 4.5 this AM. Full disclosure - the pool must have gotten some sun in the early AM since the sun rises early this close to the 50th parallel so my morning OCLT wasn't quite by the book.

Opinions? Do a full SLAM? Keep up with the FC? What does the field have to say?

Follow up questions:
  • My pH meter I got with my TFT100 often disagrees with the k1000. Which do I trust?
  • I'm running out of CYA reagent. Can that be ordered separately?
  • How white do my cartridge filters need to be to be 'clean'? I get all the gunk out easily enough but they're certainly not sparkly white throughout.

As so many have said in these parts in the past: thanks in advance!

m.

Follow the SLAM Process

I use the K1000. No issues.

You can order CYA reagent but not sure your process in Canada.

My cartridges have not been white since they were put in 6 years ago. Clean the gunk off. If you are no longer going back to normal clean pressure, then you might need to soak in TSP.

Reactions: TheDeuce
Question 1: Get pH to 7.2-7.5. Is there any advantage to pushing to 7.2?
Question 2: Can we use the pool during SLAM?
Question 3: Does the CYA reagent go under another name that I might be able to freely find in Canada? I used a postal pick up in North Dakota (or as we call it 'the Deep South') for my original kit but with the border being closed...

Thx,

m.

1. FC works a little better with pH at 7.2. But not a big deal
2. yes. FC at or below SLAM level, you can see the bottom of the pool.
3. Taylor R0013. Otherwise, not sure. Border should open soon I would think?

First results are in. I added 3 pounds of dry acid and got my pH down to 7.3-7.4. Added 16 litres of 10.8% liquid chlorine as per Poolmath. Last night's FC reading was a whopping 36.5. CC = 2.0. I carefully added the required amount of chlorine for a target FC of 28. Is it a problem that I'm over?

This morning's numbers which I grabbed under a rising sun at 6 AM were FC of 34 and CC of maybe 1. Since it was so early I was autopiloting and took the pH with my meter - 7.8, which I'm assuming is way off.

I'll be on it all day (I'm glad I work from home) but should I worry about that FC being so high? Is it still safe to swim?

FINALLY! How the heck to I change the units in the chemical addition recommendations to metric? "Add 560 ounces of bleach". Off to the online converter.

m.

First results are in. I added 3 pounds of dry acid and got my pH down to 7.3-7.4. Added 16 litres of 10.8% liquid chlorine as per Poolmath. Last night's FC reading was a whopping 36.5. CC = 2.0. I carefully added the required amount of chlorine for a target FC of 28. Is it a problem that I'm over?

This morning's numbers which I grabbed under a rising sun at 6 AM were FC of 34 and CC of maybe 1. Since it was so early I was autopiloting and took the pH with my meter - 7.8, which I'm assuming is way off.

I'll be on it all day (I'm glad I work from home) but should I worry about that FC being so high? Is it still safe to swim?
I'm not sure if the meter is affected by higher FC values? ... Your PH drops test will show a "false" elevated PH due to the higher FC (chemical reaction when FC 10+)

As for your chlorine additions being high, here are some things to check:
  • Pool volume ~ either over-estimated or not correctly entered in PoolMath
  • Chlorine strength not correct in app for calculations
  • mismeasurement of dose
Reference the FC/CYA Levels, your SLAM level of FC is 28 for CYA/70, so once your FC is around that level, it is safe to swim :)

FINALLY! How the heck to I change the units in the chemical addition recommendations to metric? "Add 560 ounces of bleach". Off to the online converter.
The online calculator has the metric option (top right corner) PoolMath

OK I pulled of the solar cover, did a quick skim, and threw the Prowler 820 in. It looks better already. I know SLAM is a low and slow process but it's looking better after less than 14 hours. Check it out:
(And I can't come close to uploading the full resolution pics so I'm using downscaled 1024x768. The originals are sharper but you get the idea)

m.

Attachments

• 2020 06 12_9931.jpg
    2020 06 12_9931.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 2020 06 12_9932.jpg
    2020 06 12_9932.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 2020 06 12_9933.jpg
    2020 06 12_9933.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 2020 06 12_9934.jpg
    2020 06 12_9934.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: splashpad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would suggest ...9931 as your profile pic, You have a gorgeous pool!

You have me blushing. Thanks! I'm thinking about recreating that shot once I have the clarity where I want it to be. Ideally a night shot.
I wonder if I can change the thread title to say "Now With Pictures". I understand TFP loves pictures!

m.

Follow the SLAM Process

I use the K1000. No issues.

You can order CYA reagent but not sure your process in Canada.

My cartridges have not been white since they were put in 6 years ago. Clean the gunk off. If you are no longer going back to normal clean pressure, then you might need to soak in TSP.

SLAM is underway. Thanks! But what is TSP?

m.

4PM CDT FC level: 27. CC=.5. Added 3 litres of 10.8%.

I hope no one minds me using this thread as a blog. I'm just so Dang excited!

And I have to find a place to offer suggestions for Poolmath. I'm a Metric guy and, while I admire all you Yanks who can effortlessly convert ounces into quarts into hogsheads, I like my measurements divisible by 10.

m.

• Haha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.