Time for a new pool pump?

kgturner

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2014
Mobile, Alabama
I have a Sta-Rite pool pump that is going on 9-10 years old. Today I went to turn my pump on and noticed that it would not keep prime. It would suck and suck and then catch prime, hold it for about 30-45 seconds and lose prime again. This is all it will do now.

I tried cleaning out the the O-ring/lid and relubing just in case there was an air leak there. I just don't understand why it's not able to keep prime. It would be one thing to never prime, but it will prime, hold it, then lose it. Later rinse repeat. There are no valves in between. Just 1.5" pipe from the skimmer to the pump. 1.5" pipe to the sand filter. 1.5" pipe to return. As far as I can tell, there is no blockage anywhere in the line.

I can't imagine the multiport valve on the sand filter would cause this as that is the only other culprit that it could be if it is not the pool pump.

Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions to troubleshoot this further? Thanks!

Kevin T

full

Reactions: jsygrls
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.