Tiles and chunk of cement fell off pool

armyofda12mnkeys

Jun 29, 2020
Philadelphia, PA
Hey all,
Past couple years we been having tiles fall off off my parent's pool. Today a bigger chunk of cement actually fell off with some tiles.

Video below:
Just curious what you think I should do for a temp fix ... and permanent fix.

Temp fix questions:
Well i guess my first question... should i do it immediately or got some time? Wondering if i will get damage with the cement part of the pool being exposed like that.
Then for the actual temp solution, what product should I use? (and do I have to drain the pool a few inches to completely let that area dry out to do it?)
Note that this temp solution doesn't need to look nice... like if its some white epoxy or silicon thing I add in there that doesn't event had the original tiles stuck on top (although that is cool if it temporarily seals it and can stick on the tiles as well). Also another thought... if the concrete shell isn't going to be damaged by not doing anything, then maybe I should just forget the temp solution and wait for end of summer and hire someone to do a permanent fix?

Permanent fix questions:
Do we need to completely redo the coping on the top the pool before we do the tiling? or like can someone carefully knock out a few of the copings from the more problematic areas, reapply some cement fixes in there, and re-stick the tiles in those problematic areas. (or you can't knock out and re-use the coping, new coping has to be created?). I guess someone has to reseal those gaps in the 'coping sealant' areas be4 the winter too as I assume maybe that is at least one cause of these issues?

Note: You can also assume I'll need to re-paint the pool with epoxy paint this year I think as its been 10 years since my parents painted the pool and paint is gradually wearing off ...
so not sure if I should re-paint then hire someone to do some coping/tiling fixes after [or do you do the coping/tiling first???]).

Anyway, any thanks for any tips/thoughts!,
Ari

Reactions: Apsuhead
Answers: temporary repairs, time is not on your side, you do not want water getting into the cracks between the bond beam and the deck. You can use a hydraulic cement to patch the cracks for a temporary fix. Waiting till the end of summer to repair the problem will only advance the damage.
It appears that the reason for the damage is that the deck is not being allowed to move independently from the pool with proper expansion joints, the deck not having a barrier between coping and top of bond beam and allowing water to get past the deck-o-seal.
The proper repair would be to completely replace the coping and have a expansion joint along the block wall.
The order I would suggest for the repairs is coping/deck, tile then painting of the pool last.

Attachments

• 9BFDBF6A-03AB-4CBE-BA51-56DD92AAE8CB.jpeg
    9BFDBF6A-03AB-4CBE-BA51-56DD92AAE8CB.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 41D0B0B8-6224-44B0-8FCF-355DAF895D32.jpeg
    41D0B0B8-6224-44B0-8FCF-355DAF895D32.jpeg
    523.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 4947FF9D-FAC0-4626-9E89-B7319DC701F4.jpg
    4947FF9D-FAC0-4626-9E89-B7319DC701F4.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: armyofda12mnkeys
Answers: temporary repairs, time is not on your side, you do not want water getting into the cracks between the bond beam and the deck. You can use a hydraulic cement to patch the cracks for a temporary fix. Waiting till the end of summer to repair the problem will only advance the damage.
It appears that the reason for the damage is that the deck is not being allowed to move independently from the pool with proper expansion joints, the deck not having a barrier between coping and top of bond beam and allowing water to get past the deck-o-seal.
The proper repair would be to completely replace the coping and have a expansion joint along the block wall.
The order I would suggest for the repairs is coping/deck, tile then painting of the pool last.
Hey @AQUA~HOLICS ,
So just curious if there are 2 expansion joints?
I thought reading this article that the expansion joint is the part where there is sealant (caulking or deck-o-seal) right behind the coping (the parts in my video where the sealant isn't looking too great):
Should there be 2 'buffer areas' expansions joints? one all along-side the pool right behind the coping (filled with sealant) and another one in the back of the cement deck area (aka the area you pointed out about 8-10ft back) also filled with sealant?

Last edited:
My experience with this situation is typically due to improper expansion joints and no barrier between the top of the bond beam and coping.
May not need two expansion joints but the one you have has to be done correctly and properly maintained.
The break between the coping and deck needs to be completely to dirt and not back filled with sand to obtain the proper depth.
It appears to me that the deck expanded from heat and pushed the coping over the edge of the pool taking the tile with it because it couldn’t move against the wall. This is very common with cantilever decks and pools with coping when the void between the coping and deck are compromised.

Ron Lacher explains it in greater detail in his training seminars of the importance of proper steel placement, Shotcrete, decking and most importantly why pools fail.
That picture is exactly what I was trying to explain in regards to “ to dirt”.
The improper construction techniques explained above look very similar to what you are experiencing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.