Tile or no tile in fiberglass pool?

dmlk

Jun 28, 2020
Ohio
This is our first build but second pool we owned. Our first pool was a fiberglass that had tile and in the white grout it developed black algae we could not get out! We talked to everyone and everything and tried our hardest to remove and it didn’t.
So this time with our pool build we did fiberglass again but decided against tile. But now looking at the pool I feel like it could use the added touch.
I heard it can be added after install. Is it worth it or just leave with no waterline tile?

We have tile. It helps hide any off level of the pool if you have it.

The one mistake we made was letting the installers use regular grout. Use Silicone grout. Search for Novagard. I have had to patch/repair a few spots and the stuff is great. But, it is a pain to use for install. So I guarantee any installer will push back in using it.

Reactions: dmlk
Tile - 100% of the time.

Originally we did not have tile (cost was running away from us) and regretted it. Lucy for us, our coping was never quite right and after giving the installer several opportunities to get it right, they decided to rip it out 8 years after the install and pour a new one at no cost. We took that opportunity to get tile and it looks great.

I'd check with your builder about the tile after the fact. We were told - and I verified - that tile after the coping is already installed will not look quite right. Something to do with how the forms are placed against the tile rather than the pool for the pour. Originally, I thought about doing tile myself with the first coping, but when I put a piece against the pool and flush with the coping, it looked odd because both the tile and face of the coping were flush.

Oh....

NPT seems to the the manufacturer of choice for pool tile.

Thank you so much! I will look at the manufacture. I will also talk with my PB. They still need to stain my coping color gray since the color didn’t come out right.
Is your pool a fiberglass as well? Would you mind sending me a photo? Our last pool was a white fiberglass so trying to decide what tile to go with the California shimmer color.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.