Tile grout

blazin

Bronze Supporter
Jul 29, 2017
Franklin, MA
I've got the thinset selected for my waterline tile repair, but I realized I don't know what grout to use.

People seem to swear by e-z patch products but my grout is gray. Any thoughts on what the original PB could've used?

To note, the tile I'm repairing is their botched job they repaired on warranty and has now fallen off... Again.

Ask me who I used to learn from my lesson.

TLDR : where to get pool tile gray grout?

There are lots of different shades of gray. You may have to buy a few different products until you find the best match...

Does any sanded grout work? Lots of choices available locally just not sure if it matters for a pool or not.

How wide are your joints?

Sanded grout is thicker because of the addition of sand in its mix. Non-sanded grout is thin with a smoother texture. Sanded grout is suitable for tile joints wider than 1/8 inches. Unsanded grout is recommended for tile joints less than 1/8 inches wide.

Unsanded grout should be used in joints that are less than 1/8-inch-wide. It has a smooth texture and clings well to vertical surfaces, which makes it useful for grouting ceramic wall tiles.

I'm not sure on the exact joint size, but with regards to grouting is there any reason I can't go down to my local big box, pick up sanded/unsanded depending on joint width, mix it up and use it?

I'm planning on using an A118.15 thinset, I know the pool patch stuff is specifically made for the purpose so I'm curious if there is a need for some special grout or if it's all just marketing.

Mapei Ultracolor Plus FA is able to be used on pool tiles.. Lowes carries it and they have 3 different shades of grey.. :)
You must keep it dry for at least 72 hours after...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.