Tightening PVC into the filter/motor thread

chandra5103

Mar 15, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
Dear experts,
Need your advice on how tight should I tighten PVC into the motor/filter threads?
It looks different in each thread when I start to feel that substantial pressure has to be applied and I am afraid to break the thread.
How did you handle this?
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0623.jpeg
    IMG_0623.jpeg
    370.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0622.jpeg
    IMG_0622.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0673.jpeg
    IMG_0673.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0672.jpeg
    IMG_0672.jpeg
    388.6 KB · Views: 8
Hand tight. That is it. Maybe if your hand strength is not that great, a tweak with a large pair of channel locks (or if you had a large enough pipe wrench that works too) but just a tweak - 8th of a turn a most.

You do not need to bottom out the threads. You may also want to put some PVC thread sealant on that joint.

If anybody is an AvE fan, do not follow the advice of "Tighten it until it snaps, and then back it off a quarter turn"

Hello and Welcome to TFP!!

Tight is tight, too tight is broke!
Put some Teflon tape on the threads and hand tighten it until it’s snug. Do not over tighten since they are wedge threads and can split the housing. You definitely don’t want to bottom out the threats.
If you use unions on the piping, you can snug them up a little more later if they drip a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.