La Grange, KY
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
New pool owner and I am going through the warranty documents on my Thursday Pool. Here is what is in their doc:

Chlorine Residual — 1.0 to 3.0 ppm
pH Level - 7.2 to 7.6
Total Alkalinity — 80 to 120 ppm
Calcium Hardness — 200 to 400 ppm
Cyanuric Acid (chlorine stabilizer) 30 to 50 ppm
Metals —0 ppm
TDS- Less than 1500 ppm
SI -Saturation Index — (-0.3 to +0.3) Ideal is O. (If you have a salt system, your saturation index should be between (-0.2 to 0.2) to account for the additional corrosive characteristics of salt.)
Salt -2700 to 3400 ppm (Only necessary if using a salt generator.)

My first question is Chlorine Residual the same as FC? The numbers are lower than what is recommended by TFP. I assume since CYA is recommended to be 70-80 by TFP that it would lead to the higher FC recommendation of 5-6?

Here is what I come up with for TFA recommendations for Fiberglass with a SWG:

FC: 5-6
PH: 7.6-7.8
TA: 60-80
CH: 350-550
CYA: 70-80

I have no doubt that I am going to stick with the TFP recommendations. I have ordered my TF-100 kit. I just want to make sure I am understanding everything correctly and not doing anything that might void my warranty. My wife will tell you that I over think everything.

Thanks,

Those are great levels for your pool.. You are not overthinking it..

The 1 to 3 ppm chlorine is from 50 years ago and not much was understood about CYA.. Really not many understand CYA now but we are working on that every day.. Now you know about it and can help someone else out.. :)

I run my CYA at 80 and FC at 7 for my saltwater pool.. just makes everything so much easier and I never worry about FC getting low...

With the warranty, the question is what happens if you have one test that shows one parameter out of the specified range. Will the warranty company use that as an excuse to not honor it?

I eventually gave up on trying to manage my chemistry as dictated by the pool warranty a few months after we resurfaced ours. If your warranty is like mine, you'll need to get your water tested at a pool store every month to demonstrate that you are within those ranges you listed...according to those, you can't run your FC at 5-6, it must be kept at 1-3. Same for the pH, CYA, etc. You'll likely find that the pool store test results required by the warranty won't match your results and it will be maddening to try to get a "perfect" result from a store that complies with all of the warranty ranges.

Read through the warranty and see what it requires for record keeping and what it provides for remedies if there is an issue. You might decide it's not worth all of the effort to comply with its terms.

Reactions: tawatson71
yeah, sounds like the warranty wants to put the onus on you to chase numbers and stress out.... yet for what?
If you follow their ideals you'll have a pretty green pool that you can't swim in. <shrug>

The TFP method does more to protect your water AND equipment than any other "method" <cough-cough>.
I've used the TFP care for 10 years and never had algae. That says a ton to me.

Maddie ⛳ fore! :party:

Reactions: tawatson71
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.