Thru-wall Skimmer for Intex?

bloodfromastone

Apr 11, 2019
Buffalo, NY
I'm looking for recommendations for a wide mouth, thru-wall skimmer for an Intex 16x48. I'm using the small Summer Escapes skimmer off my old pool, and it's working, but I get a lot of leaves in pool from the Black walnut tree(on the neighbors property that he was said he was going to cut down but hasn't) that overhangs my yard, so this skimmer gets clogged with leaves pretty quickly so I need something larger.

You don't need to put the return eye in if you don't want to. Just leave the existing return alone.
I kept it and installed a year or so later when I hard plumbed the return side - it's a little bigger so better flow but absolutely not needed.

The only installs I recall seeing hard plumb from the skimmer to the filter inlet. I'm sure someone here has done it with the existing Intex hoses though.
You just need an adapter to get from 1.5" PVC to Intex hose. Maybe someone will chime in with a solution for that. Or maybe Intex has one.

Honestly it seems easier to just hard plumb from the skimmer to the pump inlet. For one thing it gives you a shutoff valve which you will probably want if you ever have to disconnect the pump..
If you look at the first big picture on this thread, you only need to do that bit from the skimmer to the pump inlet.
The person who posted the picture has also hard plumbed from the pump to the filter, but there is no need for you to do so.

Here's the post I made about installing a Hayward through wall skimmer on my Bestway pool.

You'll need one of these to connect the existing inlet hose to the bottom of the skimmer.

Additional tools that will be handy are
  • Phillips head screwdriver
  • Ice pick
  • Teflon tape
  • Xacto knife
  • Silicone caulk
  • Courage
Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.