Through Wall Skimmer for Intex Ultra Frame

May 29, 2017
Cottage Grove
Moved from here... Through Wall Skimmer on Rectangular Intex Ultra Frame UPDATE

Since 2014 is the last time someone has updated this thread, this may be a long shot but, can anyone help me with the install of a hayward through wall skimmer for above ground pools? I bought this model Pool Skimmer SP1091WM, however i was wondering since this gasket is kind of butterflied already if there was a need to butterfly the gasket so that it was on both sides of the pool. Also, since i opted for the wide mouth version, but didn't know if it would work with my 12x24 setup I bought the extra part to keep it as the regular non wide mouthed version. I have searched youtube only to find snippets of people installing, where to install, how to do it, yet I am still reluctant to pierce my pool side wall in order to have the skimmer. Last summer I lost a lot of water installing a wider inlet from intex. It was one I had laying around, so nothing out of pocket for me to do an upgrade. I also have to mention that I have the two inlet style and the intex skimmer never really kept the pool clear. It would always clog up and we wouldn't have any flow to the outlet only to find out that the design of the inlet hoses itself was the culprit. They had this waffle pattern that would slow down the flow. Any help is greatly appreciated as my pool isn't up yet. In Minnesota its a sunny 61 today and cloudy, with rain in the near future forecast.

Thanx

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I know most people would like Pictures of Pool to go with the words... I mean it is 2019 right?

Here is my pool as it sits today.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190523_190935_compress84.jpg
    MVIMG_20190523_190935_compress84.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 85
  • MVIMG_20190523_190952_compress90.jpg
    MVIMG_20190523_190952_compress90.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 84
  • MVIMG_20190523_190958_compress69.jpg
    MVIMG_20190523_190958_compress69.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 90
  • MVIMG_20190523_190924_compress97.jpg
    MVIMG_20190523_190924_compress97.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 104
  • MVIMG_20190523_190831_compress29.jpg
    MVIMG_20190523_190831_compress29.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
We don't have an Intex pool so I can't say anything to help with that. Could you please restate your question/what you want help with? Just to make it clear what you're asking. :unsure:
I do know a butterfly gasket is meant to be installed with the wall sandwiched between the two flaps.
Hope that helps. And I'm sure someone will be around soon to help you out.
:wave:

I actually have numerous questions..

1. Does the butterfly gasket that comes with the skimmer need to be split?
  2. Where exactly is a good place to put the skimmer? Because it will end up where there is a seam.
  3. Can I cap off one of the inlets?
Among others...

We can start there and progress. :)

The one I can answer is #1. Do not split the gasket. The butterfly gasket is meant to be attached to itself on the inside edges and you put one part over the inside of the pool wall and the other part on the outside. This is just an example pic: Standard Butterfly Skimmer Gasket I guess this is for a hard sided pool.

Found this thread which might help: Installing thru-wall skimmer in Intex - Confused!!
They say don't use a butterfly gasket when installing on an Intex pool. Instead use a 2 piece and put one on the inside and one on the outside. Or cut the gasket apart and do the same: one on inside, one on outside. Hope this helps.

Sooooo, we we cut the liner installed the skimmer the skimmer screws were too long the skimmer does not adhere to the pool wall. The skimmer is effectively leaking all of the water that comes into skimmer. What do I do now I did exactly what you told me to do now I have this huge hole in my pool liner, it would be greatly appreciated if there was some type of help in this forum.

It's been 3 days the pool will not hold water above the skimmer now. To buy a new liner is $400 plus shipping. It would be an awesome feat if someone would try to give me some type of guidance. I'm more used to a Facebook type of forum where it's instantaneous... where if you ask A question most of the time you'll get an answer.. this is almost as bad as snail mail because for some reason I'm not piuqing anyone's interest. Administrator? Anyone?

#Admin #help

Most guys are to install the skimmer on a regular steel lined pool wall not for an Intex ultra soft pool liner. that's why I asked for some help with an Intex pool and the only person I received help from doesn't have the same type of pool at I have...

I put one into my regular Intex pool a few years back.
The top ended up flush with bottom of top seam.
I split the gasket on mine.
If your screws are too long, pull one out and make it shorter, hacksaw/file works. Go slow until you figure out the right length, then repeat. The inner flange must squeeze the gasket against the pool against the hopper.
You are almost there.....

DrastiK, I can understand your panic , seeing water all over the place. :rant:
Take a deep breath and think thru what chayne in #6 post said, and the link I posted in #5 on how to install the skimmer. Were you able to go thru that thread to learn how to do it?
Assuming you used the gaskets, what LFrankow says, in #9 post, is good advice. Also did the screws come with the skimmer? Might sound like a "duh" question but I don't mean it to be.Obviously if they did not, you will have to cut them or buy shorter ones. If you forgot to use the gaskets, the screws would seem to be too long. Also, some skimmers require an extension plate but that might not be what is happening in your case.
Can you post a pic?
Like LFrankow says "You're almost there . . . :goodjob:

FYI: I like to search the forum for answers to questions and usually find exactly what I need. That gives me immediate answers. When I don't find anything that works for me, I post on the forum, take a sip or guzzle of P.O.P. (pool owner patience) and wait for mod's and member's help before l proceed. It has helped me a great deal in all the years I've been coming here for advice. :snorkle:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The wall of a steel wall pool isn't really any thicker than a soft wall pool. The screws shouldn't be too long for one version and able to work on the other. Which skimmer did you purchase?

I'd check that the gasket is seated properly and all the pieces are in the right place. If you really need to shorten the screws, use a hack saw and cut 1/4" off of a few and see if that is enough. But there have been a number of Hayward skimmer upgrades on an Intex pool and I haven't heard of long screws being an issue.
Here is another skimmer up grade that you can read through.

As a final comment, ALL forum members are volunteers who comment on posts in their free time. Vast majority of members don't have an Intex type pool and don't visit the AGP section of the forum. I will say that your method of asking for help isn't going far in getting replies. Feel free to ask away on Facebook if they can help you better. We will help you as much as we can.

Reactions: kimkats
To All concerned,

I have effectively eliminated all leaks and have all of the old intakes plugged. I was able to drain the water completely down enough to get a variable torque drill in the pool, and using the correct bit, was able to unscrew all of the screws and re install them with ease. I know that everyone says not to use power tools to install these, but in my desperate time of need, I needed the extra umph. That being said, the pool is now up and running for the short Minnesota season. I am going to be making a guide for people using this exact pool and this exact skimmer. As I stated before all of the information that I found was in bits and pieces, and not all in the same place. It was a bit much to search and find an answer here, an answer there and just overall frustrating for me. Thank you for your suggestions, and help.

D

Glad you got it working. Probably going to be giving this a go ourselves soon.

How much depth do you lose by installing a skimmer? Is the water supposed to be about halfway up the skimmer or where exactly? We had a 48" pool in the past and are looking at a 52" and I am thinking with the skimmer install, we'd probably befilling it about to where it was with the 48". (hope that question makes sense)

I know I'm kind of late to the party on this one but I will say I actually understand what the OP is talking about with having trouble finding a complete, literal start to finish, tutorial for installing a through wall skimmer on Intex pools. I'm assuming it's due to there being a small percentage of people who need this specific information? This is why I've been looking at this Hayward box for 3 weeks but have no skimmer in my 16x32' Intex. Lol. If you do a complete tutorial, PLEASE add a link on here! Thanks.
~Julie Tanner15603940282634732496671767276247.jpg15603940282634732496671767276247.jpg

Yesterday I installed a Wide Mouth skimmer on my new Intex 16 X 32 Ultra Frame and made the mistake of centering the skimmer over a vertical seam. Realized what I had done as I was cutting out the skimmer opening. I brought the pool water level up and sure enough the skimmer is leaking. Now begins the process of trying to resolve the leak. I had installed this same type skimmer on my original pool of the same size about 5 years ago and never had an issue with it leaking (of course I installed it where there was no vertical seam)

Any suggestions as I begin my attempts to stop the leaks?

I can't help with leaks - but are you putting the skimmer in place of an intake valve or somewhere else? Will you have an intake plus a skimmer or just the skimmer? How are you plugging up the intakes, if you are doing so? I'm trying to understand how to make this work for us.

Any suggestions as I begin my attempts to stop the leaks?
I would use silicone, remove skimmer apply around the face, inside and out then re install the skimmer. Put a gob of silicone about half inch long and 1/4" deep on a piece of cardboard, when you can press on the gob without it sticking to your finger start refilling the pool.

Reactions: pncsmith
Just replaced the liner on my 12x24 Intex Ultra Frame after a tough winter. Re-installet my widemouth skimmer using the same approach as the first time:
1. Cut the butterfly gasket in two, use one half inside pool, the other outside
2. Position the skimmer frame between two legs where there is no vertical seam. If put high enough, there will be no waterloss
3. Punch wholes and install the corner screws, making sure they grip. Then install remaining screws and tighten
4. After skimmer is installed, cut the liner inside the skimmer from inside the pool using scalpel, exacto knife or similar
5. Done, no leaks or issues of any kind

I connected my skimmer in parallell with the existing intake. That is a great way to minimize risk of sucking air if waterlevel drops in the pool

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: LFrankow

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.