Through the wall skimmer on an Intex

just to put anyones mind at ease on the butterfly gasket, cutting it in two is VERY simple. it took me about 2 minutes with an exacto knife, and as far as the install went, was perhaps the easiest step.

Either install method listed in this thread will work just fine, I just wanted to dispel any notion that cutting the gasket is any big deal.... cause it aint. :D

I was originally going to cut it as most of what I had read stated that's how it was done. I realized it's simply unnecessary. Only thing it would do is make a simple install easier. If it were designed that way it would have came 2 piece. But as stated, either method works.

Anyone having concerns about this mod need not worry.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I was originally going to cut it as most of what I had read stated that's how it was done. I realized it's simply unnecessary. Only thing it would do is make a simple install easier. If it were designed that way it would have came 2 piece. But as stated, either method works.

Anyone having concerns about this mod need not worry.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

my point exactly^^^^

as far as integrity of the gasket, I doubt its compromised by cutting it half. the gasket is not supporting anything, its sandwiched in between the housing and outer ring, held in with the screws. I have had zero issues with mine. To each his own on the install of a hayward dynaskim though, either method will yield same results.

I have not received my skimmer yet, but I do not understand why the gasket has to be cut in half? Shouldn't it seal from the inside without having to be cut in half?
Just trying to get all of the fact's before I install mine.

I have not received my skimmer yet, but I do not understand why the gasket has to be cut in half? Shouldn't it seal from the inside without having to be cut in half?
Just trying to get all of the fact's before I install mine.

The gasket has to be cut in half if you want to install the skimmer before cutting through the liner and without draining your pool completely below the opening required. If you don't mind draining a bit and refilling, it isn't necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This guy reversed his connections, putting the Hayward skimmer where the old return used to be, and putting his return where the floating skimmer hooks up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEKRHT06UQs&sns=sms

I'm interested in doing this as well, for two reasons. First, if the return hole is high enough, I can cut it out completely for the skimmer, and wont be left with an extra hole in the pool to plug. And secondly, I think mounting the return lower in the wall might increase circulation at the very bottom of the pool, lessening the need to vacuum dirt up as often.

Any thoughts on this? Any reason not to mount the return lower than the skimmer? The only thing I can think of is a little increased backpressure on the return side, but I've got plenty of pump for this pool.

My intex pool has two suctions and one return from the factory.... This is due to Australian regulations..... I am turning one of the suctions into a return and cutting a new hole for my skimmer... :) That way I have a total of four holes in my pool..... Two for suction and two for returns...... There's heaps of different ways you can do it..... :) Its heaps fun working stuff out... :) I reckon your idea is solid... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.