Thoughts on this pool- beyond repair?

Kl45566

Sep 19, 2020
Southwest Michigan
I believe from the late 60s/early 70s- hasn’t been used, to my knowledge, in 10+ years. Major cracks but bottom still appears to be holding water
Wanting to repair the concrete/fiberglass (if that’s what it is) if possible but also wanted to see if anyone with expertise had any other suggestions (like is a liner possible with this thing?)

Attachments

• A7C03113-A5E5-45B7-91E5-2E59702CC2C9.jpeg
    A7C03113-A5E5-45B7-91E5-2E59702CC2C9.jpeg
    533.8 KB · Views: 296
Welcome to TFP :)

We love a pool brought back to life... It sure looks like that would be a great liner replacement pool but not exactly sure what that entails...

Here is a thread for you! Time for a remodel (facelift). Staples vs Polyurethane for crack repairs Post #3 has quite a few links in it that should help you guide you.

It CAN be fix with enough effort, time, and money. A couple of those cracks look too wide for a liner as they are. If you fill in the cracks then you can use a liner. The biggest issue with a liner is finding someone to measure it PROPERLY as that is a very unique pool.

How deep is it? Is it in ground?

Thank you!!! Looking into that thread.
it is inground with a weird rotted deck around it that has to go. Not sure on the depth but it’d at least 8 feet in the deep end. There is a diving board which we will remove.
Ideally we would like to bring it back to life without the liner but it’s nice to know that is a possibility if the right measurements are taken.

Search hybrid pool reno here - you will find a few threads covering exactly what you are facing here...

I had one in PA just like this. It had much smaller cracks so I filled them with hydraulic cement and then painted. I like the idea of a liner... that would definitely be a longer lasting fix than paint.

Reactions: Kl45566

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe from the late 60s/early 70s- hasn’t been used, to my knowledge, in 10+ years. Major cracks but bottom still appears to be holding water
Wanting to repair the concrete/fiberglass (if that’s what it is) if possible but also wanted to see if anyone with expertise had any other suggestions (like is a liner possible with this thing?)

Any updates for us? This would be a great one to watch!

Any updates for us? This would be a great one to watch!
No updates yet- just closed on the property about 1 week ago. A lot of pool people are booked out until 2022 so not sure what to do. Wanting to drain it/ get the swamp water out to begin trying to fix but am apprehensive with winter coming and it being totally empty all winter. Found out it was last used in 2016 somehow.
but yeah unfortunately no real moment with it yet.

We had a hybrid pool also, with leaks at the wall panel seam and blisters/cracks in the wall panel gelcoat. Here's what we did with ours:

Look at post #79.

Not cheap (~$25,000) but we have a real pool now that looks great and doesn't leak.

We had a hybrid pool also, with leaks at the wall panel seam and blisters/cracks in the wall panel gelcoat. Here's what we did with ours:

Look at post #79.

Not cheap (~$25,000) but we have a real pool now that looks great and doesn't leak.
Looks awesome! Did they concrete over the fiberglass walls or remove them entirely

Pool companies are super busy right now and no one wanted to do it or acknowledged it would only last a year or so before cracking and/or leaking. Yeah sad wallet lol.

hiring a pool guy with no reviews who is going to tear it out for only 7k next week and replace w fiberglass square shaped pool so it’ll still be an adventure.

Yeah- all the pool companies we contacted gave estimates to demo and haul away.
This guy has apparently installed fiberglass pools and just started his own business. Apparently he’s filling the hole with sand, which looks to be ok based on what I’ve researched.
We are going to see how demo goes before giving him any pool cash tho ha.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.