Thoughts on plumbing install?

Nov 4, 2017
Ma
Hi there,

With the help of this forum I upgraded my pump and filter this season (Hayward Tristar VSP and 400sqft Cartridge Filter). The plumbing right now is dry fit and I wanted to check to see if there were any issues that should be corrected before gluing. A few notes
  1. All original plumbing was 1.5" ABS. I switched to 2" PVC above ground, joining to the ABS using Anaco SD-4000 couplings. For all but one elbow, I used sweep elbows.
  2. I intended to add a ball valve on the main drain intake, but was unable to fit it in. Would it be worth the $$ to replace the intake tee with another Jandy Neverlube valve to give me the ability to turn off the main drain?.
  3. The pipes going back to the pool came out of the ground right next to each other. I had to add a few more angles and elbows to generate the width needed for the tee/elbows. One alternative would be to replace the tee with a Sch40 Wye that would create a more straight shot.
m_install1.jpg
m_install2.JPG

Last edited:
Your question will be more widely viewed if you post the pics directly to the forum. Use a picture resizer if necessary. Many of us will not click on unknown links.

Reactions: Jtate84

I would want a Jandy 3-way valve in between the skimmer and main drain inputs, so I could select how much suction each received. Skimmer 90% and Main drain 10% or less.

Other than that, I don't see any issues..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I would want a Jandy 3-way valve in between the skimmer and main drain inputs, so I could select how much suction each received. Skimmer 90% and Main drain 10% or less.

Other than that, I don't see any issues..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks - Do the Jandy valves let you impact the suction on multiple inputs? The other one I have going to the filter just lets me turn off one of the outputs (or vary flow for two of the right-angle ports). If so, can you point me towards one?

If that description isn't clear, this is how the valve I have functions.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

I really should have said "Jandy style" valve... Your drawing is how a Jandy, or other similar 3-way style valves, work..

A better, but more costly option, is to add a 2-way valve in each line.. Cheaper ball valves would work, but they do not last long before they freeze up and can't be turned anymore. Personally, I would not use them on any of my equipment.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.