Thoughts on choice of heat pump for year-round heating in Phoenix

kpischel

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi. Met with an installer today who suggested a Rheem/RayPak R/M8450ti-HC heat pump... pool is roughly 27000 gal. I've had suggestions for Pentair or Aquacal... are these all roughly the same quality? Anything that distinguishes one from another? What would seem a reasonable price for something like this installed? I expect to set to 85 degrees year round... Thanks for your thoughts!

Kirk

Get the HP model that has service professionals in your area to call when it breaks. Lot's of folks know how to work on gas heaters. Pool companies know how to install the HPs but most can;t do any repairs. HPs are reverse ACs but many HVAC service techs will not work on them.

Some HPs have a cooling setting to cool the water. A Pentair UltraTemp will connect to your ET system using the RS-485 connection. See page 14 in https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...ump-installation-and-users-guide-en-fr-sp.pdf

Your ET will control other model HPs using the "firemans switch" connection.

Hi. Met with an installer today who suggested a Rheem/RayPak R/M8450ti-HC heat pump... pool is roughly 27000 gal. I've had suggestions for Pentair or Aquacal... are these all roughly the same quality? Anything that distinguishes one from another? What would seem a reasonable price for something like this installed? I expect to set to 85 degrees year round... Thanks for your thoughts!

Kirk
You mention year-round heating. You will not be able to maintain a swimmable temperature in winter with a HP. There's just not enough enthalpy (total energy) in desert air in the winter to heat the pool. Its way too dry. As soon as the heat pump tries to take heat from the winter air, the coils freeze up and the unit stops pumping heat. You can get a few hours of heat in the afternoon but not enough to keep your water temp up.

Last winter I was only really able to maintain enough temp in the pool to keep my SWCG running. If you want 85 in the winter you will need a gas or propane heater. A heat pump will NOT do it.

Reactions: kpischel
Rather than concerning yourself with heating to swim temp year round you should look for a heat/cool HP unless you don’t mind 90+ water.

You mention year-round heating. You will not be able to maintain a swimmable temperature in winter with a HP. There's just not enough enthalpy (total energy) in desert air in the winter to heat the pool. Its way too dry. As soon as the heat pump tries to take heat from the winter air, the coils freeze up and the unit stops pumping heat. You can get a few hours of heat in the afternoon but not enough to keep your water temp up.

Last winter I was only really able to maintain enough temp in the pool to keep my SWCG running. If you want 85 in the winter you will need a gas or propane heater. A heat pump will NOT do it.
We are looking to get the Pentair hybrid heater (heat pump & gas) with the option to install solar later. We live in southern New Mexico about 50 miles north of El Paso. The pool will be in an enclosure and I'd also like to keep it at 85 degrees for year round exercise. We are planning to keep it covered with an autocover to retain heat. Any thoughts on maximizing our bang for the buck on this?

I don't have any experience with an enclosed pool, but I'd have to imagine it would be way easier to keep heated. With the hybrid unit, sized properly, you should be able to have whatever water temp you want, whenever you want it. You'll be using gas in the winter months.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.