Thought Bromine Was A Good Idea

May 6, 2013
I have had a 25000 gallon gunite inground pool, Eco-tec finish, with attached Jacuzzi for 29 years. Because of my wife's hair being bleached by chlorine sanitation and a rising CYA (70) I thought switching from chlorine to bromine tablets was a good idea. I bought a new chemical feeder and 50 lbs of bromine. My water is milky and I cannot get any reading of Bromine, pool store test result 0.22 ppm. Should I go back to chlorine? Or is it possible to continue with the Bromine.

Welcome! This site does not have much info on bromine as a sanitation method, some of our experts will chime in soon. I would say stick to chlorine. By bleaching your wifes hair did you mean it turned it green? If so, that is not because of bleach its because of Algaecides that contain copper in them. Have your read up on ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry?

Hey TDI. I had a bromine hot tub so I kinda understand it but @Donldson and @mknauss know it much better than me. At some point, which I believe you crossed, you cannot undo the bromine and it will eat any chlorine you add and turn it into more bromine. The only option is a drain. It works in hot tubs on a small scale but the volume of chems needed for a pool make it unrealistic to maintain, if I recall correctly.

I hear this concern about dyed hair and it baffles me. I've had highlights and just this summer had my hair colored for the first time. Swim often in my SWG chlorine pool and it has had no affect on my color? Perhaps some reds or the newer type colors you can see on young folks (blue, purple, whatever) are more fragile?? I dunno? Maybe its a matter of a good colorist doing the hair? Again, I dunno.
All I am saying is I haven't known anyone with a problem and it hasn't bothered my hair. <shrug>

I'd personal ditch the bromine for cost, difficulty in testing and reasons like that.

Maddie

Welcome to the forum.
I have no experience with the Bromine tablets. They appear to be a bromide and chlorine. Much like trichlor is CYA and chlorine.

See if the pool will hold a FC level. If so, you have not built up enough bromide yet. If the FC will not hold, you will need to drain the bulk of the pool water and replace with fresh.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.